Two month review - Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Nice Jeep; I could see one in the garage someday.

Nice Jeep...but honestly, I'd rather have a Charger.

Hmm...can I get an SRT with SXT badges?
smile.gif

Took the Jeep back to the hunting camp today. The snow was deeper than the vehicle had ground clearance in spots and the snow was that granular fun stuff that has a texture like sand. I got stuck a couple of times, once on a hill from sliding off the pack-down and getting up to the door, the 2nd time I had stopped to move a tree off the path. Both times I was able to back up and take another run at it and get through. My buddy in his F-150 with Duratracs on it was not so lucky. He stopped in the same spot I stopped to move the tree and he was there. Getting him out involved a lot of shovelling to create a clearing he could turn around in and get back on the path.

All-in-all, pretty impressed with how it performs in deep snow
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Apples to oranges. Charger doesn't have enough ground clearance if you need to get through a lot of the white stuff.

Oh, and for those wondering about gas mileage, the SRT gets ~9.7Mpg 100% in-town driving according to the ECM (EPA lists it at 13). Highway is obviously better, but she's thirsty with all eight engaged and my driving style.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Apples to oranges. Charger doesn't have enough ground clearance if you need to get through a lot of the white stuff.

That is what my wife's Blazer is for.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Oh, and for those wondering about gas mileage, the SRT gets ~9.7Mpg 100% in-town driving according to the ECM (EPA lists it at 13). Highway is obviously better, but she's thirsty with all eight engaged and my driving style.

Just to add to this, total average fuel mileage is 21.5L/100Km, my average for this tank is 18.6L/100Km, which is mixed driving. That equates to ~11mpg (US) average overall and 12.6Mpg for this tank.

Not really vehicle related, but I've noticed that when it gets above freezing and of course the pressure in the tires rises that the snows develop a vibration
smirk.gif
This is only at speeds of 80Km+ and only when it is warm. When it is below freezing, no such issue. I may get them re-balanced. They proved their worth in deep snow however.

One thing I will mention is that with the touchy throttle, it has absolutely no problem tossing four rooster tails of snow out from beneath it if you aren't careful. When I was back at the camp I found myself using the paddle shifters to bog it down because the built in nannies let you get away with enough pedal to dig yourself a hole, and the throttle is so sensitive, if you are wearing heavy boots, modulation is difficult. This is a lot of go power for something of this size, and when coupled with the gearing, you have to be conscious about not goosing it too much. It has more than 200HP on the Expedition it replaced, and weights about 1,000lbs less. It has very different manners
wink.gif

Do the snow tires have a temp rating to them? I've noticed with the RT43 that the psi will fluctuate from 35 to 38 in short order when the outside temp is very mild, say around 50. This is on the T rated version which has a B temp rating. If one gets the H rated tire then the temp rating is an A. Hankook snow tires iirc?

Yeah, the Hankook iPike RW11's.

I don't recall a temperature rating being mentioned but it is a possibility.

The Michelin Latitude X-ice 3's on the Durango have been a better overall tire. More predictable, better on ice, decent in snow, no vibrations
wink.gif
However I do think that when I was breaking trail I would have been in much worse shape with those than with the Hankook's, which are quick to self-clean and really good in deep snow; better than the Michelin tire in those conditions.

Hmmm, that's interesting. When you look at this thread in the forum it says the latest post is by Horse123. But when you click on the thread there's no post by him to be seen. Must be under review.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hmmm, that's interesting. When you look at this thread in the forum it says the latest post is by Horse123. But when you click on the thread there's no post by him to be seen. Must be under review.
smile.gif

I think Horsey is tyring to figure out how to bash, he hates Jeep and somehow probably wants to tell everyone that SRT's
are piles of horse puckey LOL

You must leave it in sport mode all the time LOL

I checked the wifes Overland , first 20K miles avg about 19.7 Mpg, 60% highway, 20% in town, 20% rural. She leaves it in ECo mode, unless someone [censored] her off then she taps the shifter into sport
smile.gif

What does the SRT have for suspension. The Overland has the Quadra Lift, I am very impressed with it so far, but did buy the Maxcare Lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
smile.gif

I think Horsey is tyring to figure out how to bash, he hates Jeep and somehow probably wants to tell everyone that SRT's
are piles of horse puckey LOL

Actually, his post was a personal attack and had nothing to do with the vehicle, more of ridiculous stereotype. That's why it was removed.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

You must leave it in sport mode all the time LOL

I checked the wifes Overland , first 20K miles avg about 19.7 Mpg, 60% highway, 20% in town, 20% rural. She leaves it in ECo mode, unless someone [censored] her off then she taps the shifter into sport
smile.gif

What does the SRT have for suspension. The Overland has the Quadra Lift, I am very impressed with it so far, but did buy the Maxcare Lifetime warranty.

It has the Select-Track, which has the electronic adjustable valving.

I do enjoy the loud pedal
wink.gif

Actually, his post was a personal attack and had nothing to do with the vehicle, more of ridiculous stereotype. That's why it was removed.

Looks like he's on another vacation again since he doesn't appear in the User List anymore. He wasn't back very long. I'd bet this one is a permanent vacation which in my book is a good thing.

Looks like he's on another vacation again since he doesn't appear in the User List anymore. He wasn't back very long. I'd bet this one is a permanent vacation which in my book is a good thing.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back