Two Honda 5w20 cars, when to use up 10w30 stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sitting on a family-gifted case of 10w30 QS Peak Performance and have a 2002 CR-V and 2006 Accord EX, both take 5w20. Where does Peak Performance fit in the QS family, for starters? Is there a Colorado season when it is advisable to run this, or maybe mix a quart with the usual PYB or PP 5w20? Or should I just donate it to a friend?

Thanks in advance.

Thats a problem with a stash. It may no longer fit. Can you return it to Walmart and get 5W20?

Certainly 1 QT per OCI would not hurt.

Are you in Fl or Colorado?

If you are in FL I think you could mix it 50/50 with your other oil and have no problems whatsoever. I have 2 cars that spec 5w20 and they both have 5w30 in them now with no issues

Originally Posted By: jtfmdyk
I am sitting on a family-gifted case of 10w30 QS Peak Performance

What does the API donut say? SM? SL?

Just run the 10w30 during the summer.Nothing is in warranty and your engine wont notice much difference during the summer.

In many cases (like where 5W-30 is recommended and someone has 5W-40) I would recommend mixing in a couple quarts of each weight or just running it straight to get rid of it, BUT I don't feel that way about machines recommending 5W-20. I think there is more than just CAFE to a 5W-20 recommendation and I would stick with it. Sell the 30W, give it away, exchange it, whatever you can do.

You can use it any time you want, I seriously doubt your car will know the difference unless you get to -20F. No warranty no problem IMO.

BTW: I Use M1 0w40 in my Sonata (which recommends 5w20) with no ill effects whatsoever. Runs smooth as silk.

1qt of the 10w30 halfway through the OCI should help boost the additive pack and bring viscosity back up a bit.

I would just use it in both cars till its gone. I do exactly that with my wifes 2005 Honda and 5w30nQSUD, runs fine. UAO are great

Last edited:
Mix one quart in during the summer if you like. If it were me I would just give it away and keep running 5w20.

Keep in mind Honda specs 5-30 for the exact same engines, all around the globe, EXCEPT in the CAFE burdened U.S.

Just use commom sense, use straight up 10-30 in the summers, 5-20 in the winters. You will be perfectly fine.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Keep in mind Honda specs 5-30 for the exact same engines, all around the globe, EXCEPT in the CAFE burdened U.S.

Just use commom sense, use straight up 10-30 in the summers, 5-20 in the winters. You will be perfectly fine.

Agree...10w30 summers until it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back