Two Goldwings will fit in a 14' U-Haul truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can personally verify that two Honda Goldwings (GL1800), will fit in the back of what U-Haul calls a 14 foot (actually 12 foot) truck.

I will add photos to this thread soon (once I finally get back home).

We were in New York state, when my friend had an explained Grand Mal seizure at 6am on Saturday morning. After I got him out of the hospital, I had to figure out a way to get him and his bike (as well as me and my bike) back home.

We have both of the bikes strapped down in the back of what U-Haul calls a 14 foot truck. I got lucky and ended up with a 2014 truck with only 6800 miles. I didn't realize that a truck with so low of miles existed in the U-Haul fleet.

I wish your friend a quick recovery! Do they know what caused it?

6800 miles? Has to be a record! I didn't even think UHaul bought the trucks until they had 100K miles and ONLY with a history of poor maintenance!

I had to rent a U-Haul pick up truck at the last minute to move a fridge. The vehicle had 1,500 miles on it.

You MC's name is cheerfully suggestive of youth and rebelliousness, cute. It's reminiscent of the old "Nuke the Whales" joke. Kira

U-haul buys their trucks new, so by chance, you got a newer one instead of an old POS.
I like how the truck deck height is usually lower on U-Hauls vs other rental trucks.
U-Haul has the best designed rental trucks but you can get stuck with a junky unit.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
ya i worked for uhaul in1996. they still had a few 1974 f350's in the fleet then.

Yeah. I rented one of those bad boys for a college move in 96 or 97. Fun times with a 3 speed stick (w/granny) and MANUAL STEERING! Luckily I was driving stick at the time so I knew how to drive one.

IMG_20140817_153330_192_zps6779927b.jpg

IMG_20140818_151835_432_zpsb1b7dfc2.jpg
IMG_20140818_145449_689_zps3eb466a9.jpg

The bikes and us made it home fine. Covered 800 miles in a little under 24 hours. Left New York, drove until midnight, found the absolute worst dump of a Travelodge in the world in Mansfield, OH... then got back up at 6am, showered, got breakfast, and were back on the road. At the Travelodge, they stuck us in a building that there are no pictures of on any website. It should have been condemned years ago.

The bikes did fine, rode like they were supposed to, never touched each other. Had 4 ratcheting straps per bike. Stopped more than we would have otherwise, just to check on the bikes. Had one strap pop off each bike... but apparently three straps per bike was still fine.

The truck has a V-10, and got 10mpg at 70-75mph... with around 1900# in the back. The only thing that I can really gripe about with the truck is the lack of cruise control. That was really missed.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
ya i worked for uhaul in1996. they still had a few 1974 f350's in the fleet then.

I rented one in the early 90's. I think it had a four on the floor, and barely any clutch left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back