Two Amsoil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who wants to split a case of oil with me. I use the 5W-30 (ASL) and he wants the 10W-30. Is there any advantage to the 10W-30 over the 5W-30? From what I have seen of the oil data on the web site, there isn't much if any advantage to the 10W-30 or am I missing something. I also have a good UOA in my Vette with the 5W-30.

Second question, I have been reading here lately of a possible reformulation of Amsoil products and that the TBN values are dropping very quickly. Is that all products, or only the Series 2000 0W-30?

quote:

Second question, I have been reading here lately of a possible reformulation of Amsoil products and that the TBN values are dropping very quickly. Is that all products, or only the Series 2000 0W-30?

Terry stated:

quote:

Buster, IMHO, the solvency of Amsoil relied for years on the fuels residue to help keep it in grade and control oxidation. Fuels were reformed and 4 years ago I begin noticing extended drains UOA coming in worse than before. They have attempted adjusting but I haven't seen it work like it should. I should note at one time I was an Amsoil dealer, brother still is. The oils just aren't holding up like they used to. LC will help if added properly and backed up with periodic UOA

S2k is overpriced oil IMO and I think the regular 5w/10w-30's are the way to go. I'm using there 10w-30 now. They seem to be as good. UOA's from S2k are very up and down. I've not been impressed with this oil at all. Just too inconsistant IMO. To claim an oil is 35k when it's TBN drops very quickly is just not right. S3k 5w-30 seems to be an incredible oil, gas or diesel. This oil, although we hardly see UOA's, looks rock solid.

[ May 27, 2003, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Well, they also have the series 3000 5W30 which is a slightly better additive package then the regular 5W30 or the XL version. They make two 10W30s the regular synthetic and the XL but they make three 5W30s. The regular, the series 3000 (diesel requirements as well) and the XL.

And of course the 0W30. In terms of wear numbers I have seen no measurable difference in the 0W as compared to the 10W. However, in terms of longevity it appears that for me the 0W holds up a little better in terms of TBN. Or, you can use the 10W and simply switch out a quart of so half way through and this still is less expensive then a full crankcase of the 0W.

Vettenuts,

The regular 5w-30 and 10w-30 use basically the same additive chemistry. I'd stick with the 5w-30 for use up north, especially since you have been seeing good results with it.

Amsoil switched oil analysis labs last year. The new lab, Cleveland Tech Center, uses a different ASTM method to test for TBN which produces a number that is about 2.0 points lower than the old Oil Analyzers data. This is the main reason for the lower TBN numbers you are seeing on occasion.

I haven't seen any issues with any of their formulations. Variations in oil analysis results are due to three main factors:

1) Severity of driving conditions
2) The mechanical conditionn of the engine, including preexisting sludge/varnish/carbon deposits.
3) Fuel quality

If the run the same Amsoil formulation in the same engine under the same conditions, the results will be very consistent.

TooSlick

quote:

Vettenuts,

The regular 5w-30 and 10w-30 use basically the same additive chemistry. I'd stick with the 5w-30 for use up north, especially since you have been seeing good results with

I like Amsoil's regular 5w/10w-30 line. I think it's good stuff. It's by no means a 25k mile oil but it seems to be more consistant then the S2k. Vettenuts, you seemed to have good results with it from before so I'd stick with that too.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back