Twisters in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the 2nd deadliest tornado event in Tennessee recorded history with MANY still missing and not found. May turn out to be the worst.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
https://www.foxnews.com/us/tennesse...y-of-three-elderly-couple-severe-weather

We moved back to Chattanooga from Cookeville tn 4 years ago ..family members in Cookeville were not hurt...but it is bad there.Loss of lives was large and many were asleep when the twister touched down.

Extremely sad event, heart wrenching seeing the photo of that young family who perished and of the others that lost their lives, add to that the emotional stress of the survivors that lived to see their homes leveled to the ground their belongings and personal treasures wiped off the face of the earth at the snap of a finger.

No one can possibly imagine the feelings of losing your home or loved ones to of all things a tornado that unlike any other storm strikes with little to no warning and wipes everything in its path to the ground in seconds.

Last edited:
Mother nature sure can be cruel. Heart goes out to those folks.

Boy, I can relate, especially being here in Oklahoma. I'm actually from Clarksville, about 50 miles NW of Nashville. Been in that area of Nashville many times. Really sad to hear and see that. One thing I've learned being a transplanted Oklahoman, never ever assume a tornado won't get you, because they will. I've installed an underground tornado shelter in my garage and we are always watching the weather. Always. These things can pop up anytime. We hold tornado drills at the house, kind of like sounding the "battle station" alarms on a boat, to see how long it takes us to get into the shelter. We got it down to under 2 minutes, dog included.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Boy, I can relate, especially being here in Oklahoma. I'm actually from Clarksville, about 50 miles NW of Nashville. Been in that area of Nashville many times. Really sad to hear and see that. One thing I've learned being a transplanted Oklahoman, never ever assume a tornado won't get you, because they will. I've installed an underground tornado shelter in my garage and we are always watching the weather. Always. These things can pop up anytime. We hold tornado drills at the house, kind of like sounding the "battle station" alarms on a boat, to see how long it takes us to get into the shelter. We got it down to under 2 minutes, dog included.

Don't forget the cat sir.

Very unfortunate.

Originally Posted by frankbee3
Prayers sent for the victims and their families.
CourierDriver, I am glad you and your family are alright.

My fiancée and I dodged a big bullet, both personally, and professionally. Neither my apartment (NE Nashville) nor hers (Hendersonville) were damaged, and neither of our workplaces had any damage, either (well, her work was closed for a day because power was out).

I work at the Nashville Airport, and one of the tornados passed only a couple of miles north of our facility, causing major damage.

It would have wreaked havoc at our facility, had it hit us, as we have several commuter-sized airliners parked outside, in storage. Each are worth many tens of millions of dollars. And that's not counting the airplanes we have in the hangars.

The storms hit Nashville around 1 am. I was at work, and we had to go to our designated shelter areas.

We were fortunate. Another airport, on the NW side, John C. Tune Airport, suffered a direct hit, with at least $100,000,000.00 worth of damage.

Very sad for those who lost their lives, and those whose homes were destroyed or severely damaged.

But we'll get through it. Nashville has seen disaster before - most recently, severe flooding in 2011.

Hopefully the rest of storm season 2020 is more quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back