Twisted drive shaft real or fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this even possible or is it a fake? Can't imagine the kind of force it would take to do that.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Usually they just snap
crazy2.gif

That's what I thought.. would the entire drive line, up to and including the tranny and differential, be FUBAR'd in this instance?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Is this even possible or is it a fake? Can't imagine the kind of force it would take to do that.

It isn't all that uncommon. Any sort of shock load has the potential to twist a driveshaft.

IIRC, that pic's from a group of them and it's the left-side half-shaft on an IRS setup that was being drag raced.

Originally Posted by vw7674
If the shaft has a ding in it, that'll be the failure point, eventually.

Agreed.

Once it's got a ding or dent, it's lost a lot of its ability to resist twisting, and once it's started it'll just keep going until the operator let's up or its in two pieces.

I did that to the driveshaft in my scout at the tractor pullis. The 345 cuin international got 2nd overall though! The left front wheel was in the air for the whole pull.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
How much hp would it take to do that ?

Not much. My scout was maybe 150hp. Times that by the 1st gear ratio,x the transfer case low range gearing and your really putting some torque down.

This is much like how a person can usually stand their whole weight on an empty soda can, if it isn't dented. The metal is not very thick and it requires a uniform distribution of force.

[Linked Image]

Not much longer before that thing snapped.

Had one of our drivers snap a Ryder 5 ton rental driveshaft, spun on snow, hit pavement and the force snapped the driveshaft.
He would have been driving like an idiot to do that.
It was an expensive repair bill.

This is torque shock load related not HP related.

Never seen that racing 400+ HP BBC in front of a M21 putting over 1000 lb-ft of torque into the prop.

The torque multiplication on a RWD comes AFTER the differential where it gets another 3x or 4x.

So this makes sense that this is a half shaft NOT a drive prop. The half shart is after the diff and subject to over
three-thousand lb-ft of torque.

Now, little me stepping on a 18" breaker bar would give you 375 lb-ft of torque.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
IIRC, that pic's from a group of them and it's the left-side half-shaft on an IRS setup that was being drag raced.

So this would have happened when the car launched? I've seen them snap, heck every junkyard has snapped drive shafts... I've just never see one spun up like taffy!...‚

Originally Posted by Chris142
I did that to the driveshaft in my scout at the tractor pullis. The 345 cuin international got 2nd overall though! The left front wheel was in the air for the whole pull.

That's crazy..woulda been cool to see though. Did it snap or just twist up like that?

So this would have happened when the car launched? I've seen them snap, heck every junkyard has snapped drive shafts... I've just never see one spun up like taffy!...‚

Sticky tires, big revs, clutch dump.

On Street cars I always broke something else like U-joint, trans mount, leaf spring U bolt, even 3rd member yoke.

Never broke the 67 Chevelle. Broke the 69 428 CJ Fairlane constantly.

Remember again, this is acting as an AXLE not as a driveshaft and can see many thousands of lb-ft of torque at launch.

even on V8 performance cars, the driveshaft rarely will see over 1000lb-ft of torque. That wont twist it.

I twisted a yoke at the track on my '88 GT. It was a yoke out of a non-V8 Mustang that I was using because it fit the u-Joint size for the aluminum driveshaft (Aerostar) I was using. It seized onto the output shaft in the T-5 and shifted the guts of the trans back about 1/2"
lol.gif

I also exploded my original yoke with an extremely aggressive, and far from smooth 4th to 2nd drop on the street. I was running M/T ET Streets at the time.

I'll bet that if you search the internet for "twisted driveshaft" you'll find lots of similar images, and a number of machine shop sites that see driveshaft failures on a regular basis. I'd also bet that you'll find machine shop sites that know what the different types of failures are (twisted vs. fractured) and have a pretty good idea of the common causes of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back