Twin Turbo Analysis VR1 20w/50, T6, M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by nautoncall
A_Harman, that Redline 15w50 sounds perfect. Do you think its better than 5w50?

As a general rule, wide multigrade oils like 5W-50 employ viscosity index improvers to achieve the qualities of each oil at the rated temperatures. Motorcyclists with shared sump eng/trans, who use 5W-50, 10W-60 (and similar) find that they shear very rapidly. Often lasting less than 1000 miles.

M1 15W-50 is very shear resistant, by design with a minimum HTHS of 4.5 (although tests at 5.1) .

i totally agree on the large spreads.
however, on M1 i have proof that isnt the case.

Mobil 1 15w50 (red cap) raced/ridden for 200 miles in a Yamaha YZ250F.
Testing done by Blackstone Labs.

INSOLUBLES: .3%
WATER: 0.0%
ANTIFREEZE: 0.0%
FUEL: < 0.5%
FLASHPOINT IN \xbaF: 390
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 \xbaF: 71.9

granted the flash is low...but the stoners are saying just 0.5% (which may or may not be true)
however the 71.9 is NOT a 50wt..its not even a mid 40....actually its only 3 ticks from a 30wt!!!

sheer resistant is highly application specific. and until tested in that application... really isnt known.

Originally Posted by benjy
lighter base oils "go away" sooner even real synthetics!! being in a very hot climate heavier oils are best as ALL oils thin with more heat + typical group III synthetics thin more than a real synthetic PAO + or Ester oil. running a cheaper 20-50 like hot running big V-Twin bikes use is a good choice as you start with a thicker 20 wt before viscosity improvers are added to get to a 50 at 100C, of course real synthetics are better as they little if any viscosity improvers!! if you can afford those cars you can afford RedLine real synthetic Ester oils IMO. oil analysis dont tell the full truth, check out savagegeese.com fine print vids on oils etc, hes a no bull reviewer!

What?

So any other opinions of an oil I should try?

Yes.

Since you gave Rotella 5w40 a try... it currently isnt dual rated so why not try a dual rated oil?

Delo 5w40 XSP

" It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is excellent for use in engines developed to meet 2010 emissions standards and in engines equipped with features like four-valve heads, supercharging, turbocharging"

It is currently rated SN and SN PLUS

So any other opinions of an oil I should try?

Since you're changing oil every 1000 miles, might as well go for 15W-40, in the 5 gallon pails
smile.gif

I'll again make a statement for HPL 5w-50. I know a lot of 7 and 8 second drag week cars that run that oil and love it. My Camaro is track only, but I also only change the oil once a year. I was using Driven XP3 10w-30 last year, but will be using High Performance Lubricants BAS 5w-30 this year. BAS 10w-50 would also be a good choice for you.

Last edited:
It's pretty insane. This is my second TT viper. It made more power (1000whp) and when I sold it, I missed it so much I had to find another!!

It's pretty insane. This is my second TT viper. It made more power (1000whp) and when I sold it, I missed it so much I had to find another!!

I love of the feeling when the turbo spools up and just plants you in the seat. I miss having a turbo car.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

I love of the feeling when the turbo spools up and just plants you in the seat. I miss having a turbo car.

I agree! That feeling when the boost kicks in is awesome! My friend had a crazy modded out 1994 300ZX twin turbo and that car scared the daylights out of me.

Don't know what exactly this says about my oil but a few weeks ago my daughter was in our local Christmas parade and wanted to ride in the Viper bc we could put the top down and she on top to throw candy. In my old TT Viper it would overheat in stop and go traffic. For about 4 miles of creeping stop and go, my oil temp never got but a smidge over 210. Water temps the same. Probably just the way this car is built but I was so happy to see how it did. I went and blew it out after the parade!!

[Scary when the tires break loose at 100 though

I agree! That feeling when the boost kicks in is awesome! My friend had a crazy modded out 1994 300ZX twin turbo and that car scared the daylights out of me.
[/quote]

Boost isn't as harsh on the engine as most think. It's like a scaled up NA deal. Nitrous is what's rough due to the high shock loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back