Twin shaft Tecumseh Snow King engines..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Did this particular style snowblower engine go away, when Tecumseh went away?

Reason I ask is, we've got 3 MTD 2-stage snowblowers in the family. All of the same late 1990's to early 2000's vintage. All three have the pain in the rear, impossible to get, twin shaft engine, where the auger is driven off the main shaft and the wheel drive is driven off the smaller, counter rotating cam driven shaft.

Never could figure out WHY MTD designed them like this, because some were twin shaft, some not. Basically makes it impossible to repower with a standard engine unless you want to do some serious engineering and fab work.

Last edited:
Or you could just buy an old Ariens and re power that.Much better machine.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Or you could just buy an old Ariens and re power that.Much better machine.

I hear you. I wouldn't waste fhe resourses trying to repower one, unless it was with a donor twin shaft. Typical MTD machine falls apart before the engine poops out anyway.

Probably wise to verify it's a single shaft for those in the used market

It still kills me why MTD produced both styles across the same product lines.

Last edited:
There's a reason Tecumseh went out of business. My current MTD snow blower has B&S motor on it. I couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
There's a reason Tecumseh went out of business. My current MTD snow blower has B&S motor on it. I couldn't be happier.

Actually, this little odd-ball 7hp OHV Tecumseh has been one great little engine for me. Smooth, powerful, quiet and super fuel efficient. The flat head 9 and 11hp Tecumseh snow kings in the family? Not so much for any of that.

I saw a You tube about a guy who cut the twin shaft out puts from a dead engine and adapted it to a single shaft engine. Sorta like a mini transfer case. I re-engined a 5 hp Ariens 24" with a 212 cc Predator.It was a fairly simple operation. Find a 40 yr old Ariens and replace the worn out parts with new and add a modern engine to it. They are pretty simple machines. I had to root around to find my SAE 'Merican inch scale wrenches.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, I do recall seeing a post or two on that some years back where a guy adapted a twin shaft cover to a Chonda. He also made a twin shaft gearbox from some Wisconsin engine parts. Fella has some skills for sure.

You'd have to make sure you got the placement of the shafts just right, because of the way the tensioner pulley for the drive wheels sets way off to the side on the 2-shaft Tec. Snow Kings.

Like I say, I was just curious if anyone had any insight why MTD made both single and twin shaft models... and to suggest you be on the lookout if you find one with a blown motor, with the intent of re-powering. That ain't happening easily if it's not a single shaft.

Luckily mine runs like a top, it's just the rest of the machine that's wearing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back