Twice in a row! (Dealership)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out of state in rural OK for 2.5 months and had to have my oil changed as I didn't have my gear with me to do it. So I purchased the oil and filter and went to the nearest Toyota dealership. I've just been home for about two weeks and I needed to do it again.
I get under the truck and find that the three of the four bolts that hold on the metal protection plate are loose and the fourth is missing. One of the three is stripped from rattleing around in its hole!
mad.gif

This happened years ago at a dealership and was one of the reasons why I started changing my own oil. That time all four bolts were loose and stripped. The dealership mechanic who fixed it had a heck of a time as he had to drill out the messed up threads and retap the hole to a larger size. I guess the metal is pretty hard and good quality.
So I guess I have to go back to a local dealership and see what they will do. I'll probably end up with one bolt larger than the others
smirk2.gif

A few times while the oil change in OK was taking place, this senario popped into my head a couple of times, but I thought "Nah! Couldn't happen again. Twice in a row? Pfft!"
06.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I don't care if the dealership offered free oil changes, I would not let some idiots touch my car.

^^HUGE 2nd! When I bought my car,I`d get free tires for the life of the car as long as I let them do all of my oil changes. No one will ever change my oil except me.

I hate letting other people touch my car/truck as well. I don't really like doing it myself anymore either. I'm thinking about getting one of those easy drain oil drain plugs just to make things go quicker.

I had a similar experience with my Santa Fe. I took it to the dealer wanting the tranny fluid changed and I thought for the first change I would take it to the dealer so it was documented and I could see what was involved and then do it myself. Well they stripped 3 out of the 5 bolts holding my skid plate in place and over tightened the transmission drain plug to the point that it split the aluminum washer in 3 pieces. I was like I will never be back to that place. Hyundai in Guelph in case anyone wants to know.

You shouldn't be able to tell when a car has been worked on. I saw one that had oil all over the engine (dealership slobs couldn't be bothered to wipe it up--Ecotec engine with the cartridge filter) and the wiring harnesses were unwrapped. This sort of [censored] seems to be the norm.

Hadnt had an issue with the Taco during the first 55K since i bought those prepaid maintence coupons....will never do that again. One of my old coworksers took his moms honda to one of those oil change places...they never changed out the factory filter.

Sounds so simple doesn't it?? ... I'll just go get my oil changed, a rather simple procedure. Yet, how many stories are there of this job being messed up? Probably one of the reasons this site has so many visitors. I would bet that senior mechanics at larger dealers haven't changed oil in years? Probably a task assigned to a guy delivering pizzas just a week ago? I guess if you can... always do it yourself. At least you'll be free of any surprises and you'll know, for sure, the grade of oil in the crankcase.

I called the dealership in OK to let them know of the problem and to see what they will do. I'd expected them to arrange for a local dealer to take care of it, but noooooooo....he asks when I'll be coming back up there!!! I say definately next Xmas, but I'd rather have it taken care of before that. He asks if the other three bolts are able to hold the plate on tightly enough. I say yes and ask if a local dealer can take care of it. He say he'll have to check on that. !!!
crazy2.gif
!!!

I'm at a loss for words other than what can't be printed here. Its as if I'm the one who is making the issue inconvenient by living out of state!

We'll see what happens. I'm awaiting his call.

I just got off the phone with the OK dealer and he said to take the truck to the nearest dealer here to get a quote and have them call back with how much it will be.

Not going to hold my breath. I'll be "satisfied" only when its fixed. Heck, I don't know if that hole can be drilled and tapped any more than it is. Will find out soon enough.

Just be happy you're not dealing with the Big-3 they would just shrug you off an tell you it was like that when you came in, or that it was due to your lack of maintenance!
LOL.gif

In all fairness I'm sure the guy on the phone is doing the best he can. Toyota will probably fix it for you free of charge, because it's a company that builds it's company on pride/respect and especially now because they are posting the first loss in history!

StevieC said:
Just be happy you're not dealing with the Big-3 they would just shrug you off an tell you it was like that when you came in, or that it was due to your lack of maintenance!
LOL.gif
quote]

C'mon, You don't know that for sure. ALL dealers can be awful -foreign or domestic because they are privately owned and operated businesses.

Last edited:
GMBoy I was just funnin' from my experiences though the Big-3 seem to have worse service towards the customer at the dealerships than the Japanese, but slightly worse, not as bad as I was making out in the comments above.
grin2.gif
Just havin' some fun is all!

Whats so hard about getting under the vehicle and doing it yourself ?

My Honda dealer offers free oil changes if you buy a new car. My family has bought about 9 Hondas from them and not one car has ever gotten a free oil change.

Its not hard. Did it myself yesterday and all of them for the past 6 years except the one last month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back