Twenty ways to spend too much;

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
That would be interesting. My observation is that both Ford and GM do not often specify premium for engines.

Edit: According to fueleconomy.gov, 2.4L Ecotec is specified for premium in the Cobalt but not in the G6. I have no idea what the difference is.

They generally tend to use lower compression motors that don't rev up much or like to for that matter while Japanese and Europeans are the opposite.

The guy that wrote that article doesn't know
what he is talking about. Especially when it
comes to antifreeze. This is one uneducated
idoit's opinion

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:
They generally tend to use lower compression motors that don't rev up much or like to for that matter while Japanese and Europeans are the opposite.

I don't believe that to be true of Ford. They, unlike GM, have exactly one pushrod motor they still make and I'm not sure that it's going to be in production much longer.

I can only think of one DOHC engine that Ford has produced where they specified premium and it was the 2.5L SVT Duratec.

Looks familiar; I think this article has been posted here before. The article isn't too bad aside from the antifreeze suggestion. As others have mentioned, there's more to antifreeze than freeze protection.

quote:

Originally posted by Rand:
On most modern fords the a/c compressor runs
on every setting except VENT or floor
IT EVEN RUNS ON THE VENT/FLOOR SETTING
just not vent only or floor only.

I would much prefer the NON-idiot proof controls
where u can select the vent position. Select outside or recycled air and select A/C operation

My '98 Pathfinder never turns the A/C on automatically, and actually says in the owner's manual to turn it on at least once a month. I have total control over that system and that's the way I think it should be. My Mazda3 used to turn the compressor on automatically, even on the floor setting, and restrict recirc operation. But thanks to a broken switch and a little bit of extra solder on the circuit board, I now have full control of that system too!

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by White850T5:
high static compression ratio engines

What's high? The Ecotec is 10:1 and GM recommends 87 octane for it.

I believe the Ecotec users also have a knock sensor as well (Malibu, Sunfire, Cobalt). So, using a higher octane could provide better MPG - especially when the ratio is 10:1 - correct?

Totally disagree about independent shops being cheaper for repairs or maintenance. This seems to be a "truth" that is really not true at all. I've worked at both types of shops and, on average, the prices are pretty close and with an OEM dealership, OEM parts are almost always used. Also, most of the dealers in my area perform maintenance cheaper than iffy lube and other quick lube places.

elieve the Ecotec users also have a knock sensor as well (Malibu, Sunfire, Cobalt). So, using a higher octane could provide better MPG - especially when the ratio is 10:1 - correct?
The ford duretec 3.0 has 10:1 compression, and uses 87 octane, And has a knock sensor.
I have tried premium in mine, and got worse mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back