Turtle ICE polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it's the same product, but I have used TW Ice, clear liquid and was not impressed at all. I now use what I have left for black plastic mirrors and other black parts on my van. It works OK on those surfaces.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Not sure if it's the same product, but I have used TW Ice, clear liquid and was not impressed at all. I now use what I have left for black plastic mirrors and other black parts on my van. It works OK on those surfaces.

+1 I tried the liquid ice once, and it turned me off the entire Turtle Wax brand. . . . .

Originally Posted By: Donald
Has anyone tried the ICE polish in a blue container. It says it does not leave white marks on black plastic if one gets some on.

I've used both Ice (liquid version) and Turtle Wax's "liquid clay bar" products. Ice is fantastic for a paint job that is already in good shape, like a good base/clear paint job. Its a very light finish wax and will leave a great shine, but it won't work on a faded finish at all. And yes, it doesn't leave marks on black plastic. The thing I like about Ice is that its not abrasive at all, so its good for just putting down a deep shine on clear-coat without gradually wearing away the surface like an ordinary wax does (albeit very slowly). But that's also the same reason its useless on faded paint.

The liquid clay bar is a pretty decent deep cleaner and wax remover too. All in all, both products are for new or show cars, not for resurrecting a worn/faded daily driver. Only a rubbing compound and elbow grease will do that.

The ICE does not last long at all - maybe 2-3 days of rain tops .!

Very nice when it is applied though.
Take a picture it will last longer....:)

Ice liquid is JUNK. Now, TW offers a set of MF towels under the ICE name that are top notch.

I've used the Ice Polish, in the blue container, and like it very well. It didn't leave any white residue anywhere on my truck.

I think it sucks! I used it once and went back to meguiars gold class, but it doesn't leave residue on the blacks which was kinda nice.

So whats better on a 6-8 year old car that has plenty of black plastic (Jeep Cherokee Laredo) near the paint. I do not want to spend a ton of time removing the white marks fro the black plastic.

So whats better on a 6-8 year old car that has plenty of black plastic (Jeep Cherokee Laredo) near the paint. I do not want to spend a ton of time removing the white marks fro the black plastic.

Some ideas for you:

1. Tape off areas of plastic molding prior to waxing. Use 3M Blue painters tape which will not leave a residue when removed.

2. Apply a water based protectant or dressing prior to waxing. This will prevent white stains on the molding. Any wax smudges can be wiped off.

3. Use a wax that does not stain trim. Hard to find in stores so you will have to go mail order. Klasse, Zaino and others do not stain trim, plus they offer the benefit of being better than most any store bought product in terms of shine and durability.

I used it, its pretty good.
2007-03-11_220056.png

It seems a little odd that there is nothing available locally that works well and does not cause stains on black rubber or plastic trim.

True -- it is tough to find. Duragloss will not stain. I don't think Collinite 845 will either. But, those are also hard to find locally. I don't think the NXT 2.0 stains (the original version did). Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss also will not stain. Funny, I used to think all waxes stained until I started reading on autopia.

I like the ice detail spray. I use spray nanowax I think its by eagle 1 or 7 I don't know. I use the nanowax first than wipe down with Ice detail spray the truck comes out great.

The trick to using this stuff is to use it very sparingly. A couple drops will do an entire panel. To call it a "polish" is a joke because it is as viscous as water and doesn't even fill swirl marks. It is basically silicone (your local bodyshop painter will hate you if he has to work on your car).

But, having said all that, it does enhance the colour of paint that is already in good condition.

You can expect any cleaner wax to stain unless you clean it properly. The best prevention is to use a trim restorer like Mothers Back to Black, 303, etc, on all trim likely touch. If it does get on it, it will be easier to remove.

Pure carnaubas like Mothers/Meg's do not readily stain from what I have seen nor the pure synthetics (just light cleaners) like Meg's NXT or Mothers Reflections/FX lines.

If you are planning to sell/trade your car and need a quick cheap way to make it look good.... it's an okay buy. Don't expect any longevity from it. There are certainly better products available.

Unless they changed the formula radically, NXT stains trim. So does Mothers FX and Reflections.

Most store bought waxes are going to stain trim, or leave a chalky residue that will have to be removed somehow.

Do not assume the composition of a product signifies whether it will or will not stain. The only way to know for sure is test it, or seek out products that are well known not to stain trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back