Turo experience?

Thinking of renting a large luxury car for a 2000 miles round trip.
The thing is, I'm looking to drive it a very long distance and not sure about the ability to, as some major rental companies only allow you to rent and use it in the bordering state/province.
What about stone chips to the paint/glass? will that be covered by the insurance or will I be on the hook to paint the vehicle if there's any damage?
I chose the "standard" coverage. Not sure about the level of coverage I'd be on the hook for.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Found this interesting tidbit of info:
"Regardless of which protection plan the primary Guests chooses, the primary Guest is financially liable for the full cost of the repairs or replacement, as well as Related Costs, for interior damage or mechanical damage caused during the booked trip."

Guess I won't be going with Turo after all
😕

And I was going to add that you need to check the mileage limitation for the rental. I think the standard rate is 50 cents a mile extra but owners could set that rate higher on a luxury car.

turo is like air BNB for cars?

Basically. Allows people to turn their personal "fleet" of vehicles into a commercial rent-a-car thing. Works good for the owners for a low-priced economy car near a city where people may not have a reason to own a car but will need one to travel outside the reaches of the bus/train.

Basically. Allows people to turn their personal "fleet" of vehicles into a commercial rent-a-car thing. Works good for the owners for a low-priced economy car near a city where people may not have a reason to own a car but will need one to travel outside the reaches of the bus/train.
As mentioned above, you can also rent luxury cars also. I heard one story that they no longer allowed for Lotus cars because once there was some damage, like the bumper was 20k to replace. Then there were Porsche's that were wrecked. They allow for up to 12 year old cars with up to 130k so you could pick up a 5-8 year old car with slightly under 100k for maybe 1/4 of retail and still make decent money on it. Once it's listed the 130k rule doesn't apply anymore.

Would you rent out your Crown Vics??? :)
There's probably not too many left that still qualify, less than 12 years and less than 130k. I'm not sure it'd be popular, it's a gas guzzler although maybe cars that can seat 6 might have appeal for a large group. I know a friend of mine paid about $250 a day to rent an SUV as they needed room for 7 people in one vehicle and that was the rental car company rate. I suppose if you had a 7 car SUV, you could undercut that a little and still make decent money. I toy around with the idea of getting a Mercedes GLS and renting that out on Turo. Too big for me though.

So no one has ever used Turo?
I've used it once. Called my insurance company and verified that they would cover the vehicle in the event of damage...they said they would. I also confirmed my credit cards rental coverage works for Turo, and it did. That being said, for that long of a trip I think I would stick with a standard rental company...someone will let you do it.

I've used it once. Called my insurance company and verified that they would cover the vehicle in the event of damage...they said they would. I also confirmed my credit cards rental coverage works for Turo, and it did. That being said, for that long of a trip I think I would stick with a standard rental company...someone will let you do it.
Thank you for this.
I contacted Amex to see if I was covered for Turo vehicles. Glad I did, as they don't offer coverage for their vehicles, only the major rental agencies.
Boy, that would have been embarrassing to be denied coverage after damaging a Turo vehicle
😖

Yep-that's the issue with Turo and the like. You cannot count on Insurance Coverage. Had someone behind me when I returned a rental car driving an Escalade who returned it with a big dent in the hood. He bought the insurance through the rental company. As he handed the keys to the attendant, and the attendant pulled up his contract-he saw the full coverage, the dent on the hood, and looked at the guy and said "you are good to go".

So no one has ever used Turo?
Used it once in Waikiki. Main reason I used it was the guy, in the military base, rent the car out with a free parking spot and that spot alone is worth the price of the car. It was a Ford with numerical pad lock so it was easy to rent and easy to return.

You better check the mileage limit though, I never see anyone renting unlimited miles on Turo, and that alone was the reason I won't rent a Tesla to supercharge my way long distance. For 2k miles with not too many days I would take a regular rental car, they have large enough of a fleet not to worry about it happening once in a while.

We were going to rent a BMW in Vegas but my trip got short, and ended up cancelling.

The verbiage with the insurance is really weird. I ended up buying the Turo insurance. Even with their full insurance I was still liable for up to $500.

Rates on a BMW were cheaper than renting a economy car at Mccarran airport. I chatted back and forth with the owner, he agreed to drop the car off at our hotel, and pick it up when we were done with it.

What was nice, is we had to cancel and I could cancel it with no charge a day in advance of the booking.

Most cars have 200 miles per day limit on them.

With the cost of car rentals at airports being currently very high, this makes sense. Many of the owners can not deliver the car to the airport due to regulations, but then can drop it off at your hotel or someplace nearby the airport.

I will say when prices were low for on-airport rental, doing that was a no brainer for us.

I know that Phoenix Sky Harbor and Denver have some big taxes on at airport rentals, so this makes sense for them. Even back in the day I would take a cab to a Hertz location a block away from Sky Harbor and save a few hundred bucks on a weeks rental.

I used Turo once on a trip to Seattle and had a pretty bad experience. The owner agreed to pick us up at the airport and drive us to his parking lot where he kept a handful of cars he was renting on Turo. When he picked us up he was high (weed is legal in Washington, but not while driving). When we got to the car (a CRV) it was absolutely filthy and every surface inside the car was stained and it smelled pretty bad. The car seemed to be lacking even the most basic maintenance and I was pretty concerned that it would break down during the week that we had it. It may have just been a fluke, but I haven't used Turo since.

I’ve used Turo once when I was in Portland before the lockdown. Rented a Subaru Forester for about the same as a compact from Hertz - I needed a car to drive over to Mt. Hood.

It was smooth, the person who put the car up was a detailer. I ran it through the car wash(Kaady or Washman up there) before I returned it. The car worked well for a day trip. I got the extra insurance as a CYA. I’d do it again, if the numbers work.

Back