Turo beats old rental companies

I have relatives in Los Angels and go there twice or even more often a year. For a long time I used AVIS where I have a Preferred Plus “status”. But last 3 times I wanted to try Turo and - oh boi - at least in LA where completion is fierce, it beats AVIS price and selection wise. To boot, many renters offer free pick up and drop off right at the terminal - exit terminal and immediately get in your car! On the way back just pull up to your terminal and hand over keys to the owner when done unloading. @@ck how convenient!

So, I’m going again with my family (4 people) for 8 days next week. A full size car at AVIS is $700 including tax. For $700 I can get a brand new E class or BMW 5 series - 2022/23 - on Turo with car delivered right at the terminal. If I go for 2020 or 2019 e class or 5 series then it’s cheaper than economy car at AVIS!

For this trip I booked a brand new, description says 3 months old, 7 series bmw for $840 total, with delivery to/from terminal. That’s a minimum $90k msrp

In the past I’ve rented the latest E for a price of full size at AVIS and a 2 year old S class for a price of premium car at AVIS (VW Passat or similar, lol).

Here is a screen of my booking for BMW 7 series, followed by cost of AVIS cars for the same dates. 7 series vs VW Passat or ford edge 😆
8E8159F0-BF95-4309-994B-F1C3115B129C.jpeg

C12E1068-93DF-46FB-A670-2FCE9A8999A4.jpeg

9E571620-8F8B-440F-87B1-627BCFE28851.jpeg

Or do most/all of you knew this for a long time and I’m the slowpoke late to the party? 😁

P

A full coverage meeting lease requirements is needed, yes. But you can purchase insurance from Turo when checking out your rental
Then you have to ask yourself who is the underwriter and what is their AM Best rating. All I am saying-is renting from Turo throws a wrench in to insurance coverage and one has to do their due diligence. That's what everybody needs to know-beyond the rental itself. I'd rather rent a beater from Avis, Hertz, etc. knowing full well what my insurance standing is-verses a BMW from Turo and not knowing.

Then you have to ask yourself who is the underwriter and what is their AM Best rating. All I am saying-is renting from Turo throws a wrench in to insurance coverage and one has to do their due diligence. That's what everybody needs to know-beyond the rental itself. I'd rather rent a beater from Avis, Hertz, etc. knowing full well what my insurance standing is-verses a BMW from Turo and not knowing.
Another way to go is U-Haul if you're just needing a cheap ride for a couple days. I rented a pickup, put 100ish miles on it for about $100 including insurance. (Some have the Ford Maverick now which may be cheaper? Idk)

Like the article above says, have to be careful with making sure you're covered with Turo

They have many negatives with bad owners too . They pull switch cars, on parole, lights broken and you pay to get out of expensive parking or trying to associate damage you did not do.

A friend got burned by two owners in same rental. He said each rental took about 5hrs of phone time over a few days to correct problems thru their support.

Last edited:
Not for me. But then I won't do Uber, AirBnB or DoorDash either. Too many scams and hidden charges.

I’m sorry, but how do you step outside? Are you not afraid of being struck by a meteorite? I don’t understand this “scared of life” outlook… how do you know bobistheoilguy is not infected with viruses that won’t enter your phone/computer and steal your personal information? Can’t never be too safe, can you?

I just quickly chatted via app with my insurance (progressive). All coverage transfers to a Turo car, no issues. Just like renting from AVIS. Took me 5 minutes to learn what I already supposed

No need to be scared of life, mate! We live only once. Rent that new BMW 7 or 5 series OR Merc S class or E class instead of a beater from AVIS. Or whatever floats your boat! If not for why, I would have rented 2016 M5 completion for same price as full size at AVIS. That 600 hp. Next time when I’m alone!

They have many negatives with bad owners too . They pull switch cars, on parole, lights broken and you pay to get out of expensive parking or trying to associate damage you did not do.

A friend got burned by two owners in same rental. He said each rental took about 5hrs of phone time over a few days to correct problems thru their support.

My brother has rented more than 10 times and I have rented twice already. There are host reviews. Just pick one with good ratings. Many hosts are business with fleets.

I’m never going to Hawaii again:

I just quickly chatted via app with my insurance (progressive). All coverage transfers to a Turo car, no issues. Just like renting from AVIS. Took me 5 minutes to learn what I already supposed

No need to be scared of life, mate! We live only once. Rent that new BMW 7 or 5 series OR Merc S class or E class instead of a beater from AVIS. Or whatever floats your boat! If not for why, I would have rented 2016 M5 completion for same price as full size at AVIS. That 600 hp. Next time when I’m alone!
No body is scared of life. I have assets-therefore I need to make sure I have insurance. Not all insurance companies may treat a "peer to peer" rental the same-BTW.

The truth of the matter is....you didn't know (think) about checking until I mentioned it.
Also- I just stepped off a 74 day South American - Antarctica cruise last week. I was in places many would be afraid to walk around in.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but how do you step outside? Are you not afraid of being struck by a meteorite? I don’t understand this “scared of life” outlook… how do you know bobistheoilguy is not infected with viruses that won’t enter your phone/computer and steal your personal information? Can’t never be too safe, can you?
Haha, didn't mean to trigger you. It's actually pretty simple to travel, stay, and eat by other means.

I've used Turo once and it was a good experience. My first Turo rental was canceled at the last minute (the previous renter returned the vehicle damaged) so I had to rebook a new rental at a higher rate since it was short notice. Still cheaper than the local Enterprise daily rate.

I checked with our insurance to verify it was covered before proceeding and thankfully it was.

No body is scared of life. I have assets-therefore I need to make sure I have insurance. Not all insurance companies may treat a "peer to peer" rental the same-BTW.

The truth of the matter is....you didn't know (think) about checking until I mentioned it.
Also- I just stepped off a 74 day South American - Antarctica cruise last week. I was in places many would be afraid to walk around in.

Who doesn’t have assets?

Any normal insurance covers a rental car - whether from AVIS or Turo, apparently.

You are correct, I did not verify if my insurance actually transfers to Turo rental. I know in general credit cards and your insurance cover rentals and if this wouldn’t be the case with Turo, it would force you to buy insurance or hosts would make sure you present them with a confirmation of coverage. Since this isn’t the case, I (rightfully) assumed I’m covered.

Going on cruise in a modern super ship that’s x10 times the size of Titanic is hardly a risky endeavor, no? 🙂. Not saying it is not a cool experience, it definitely is! Just your phrase about renting a beater from Hertz instead of 7 series (or whichever from Turo) because, maybe, there is some weird instance company that may not cover it - even though it’s a 5 minute check - threw me off

Who doesn’t have assets?

Any normal insurance covers a rental car - whether from AVIS or Turo, apparently.

You are correct, I did not verify if my insurance actually transfers to Turo rental. I know in general credit cards and your insurance cover rentals and if this wouldn’t be the case with Turo, it would force you to buy insurance or hosts would make sure you present them with a confirmation of coverage. Since this isn’t the case, I (rightfully) assumed I’m covered.

Going on cruise in a modern super ship that’s x10 times the size of Titanic is hardly a risky endeavor, no? 🙂. Not saying it is not a cool experience, it definitely is! Just your phrase about renting a beater from Hertz instead of 7 series (or whichever from Turo) because, maybe, there is some weird instance company that may not cover it - even though it’s a 5 minute check - threw me off
You misunderstand-a cruise does dock...and many places in South America...let's just say isn't like here.

I used to rent out a car on Turo. Nothing fancy, just an Escape. It was great until it wasn’t. I no longer recommend Turo. And would never rent there. Except I did have like $1k in account credit they gave me for my inconvenience for what happened and I had a nice Tesla for a week. So that was cool.

Traditional rental car agencies can be inconsistent and have some boring cars but it’s well worth it if something goes wrong.

Back