Turning the radioactive Ferris wheel at Pripyat (Chernobyl)

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
These guys are absolutely insane, it's like the 3 stooges let loose in Chernobyl with no regard for self preservation.

They do crazy things like:
  • Swimming in radioactive pools in Chernobyl.
  • Lighting up and trying to spin the Pripyat Ferris wheel.
  • Exploring tunnels near the reactors.
  • Actively searching for radioactive waste and standing in, on, and near it.
  • Nibbling on radioactive ice.
  • Sending an underwater drone into a flooded bunker.
  • Scuba diving in a DIY suit in radioactive water and then lighting flares underwater.
  • Running around the exclusion zone, breaking into military property and laboratories, including driving their vehicle right through a closed barrier.
  • No PPE, touching everything with bare hands, radiation meters blasting.
  • They went into the basement of the hospital where the first wave of firefighters (that died) were treated. They were touching their fire suits in the basement.

I can't imagine why you would want to do this if you weighed the benefits against the risks.
I guess for the clicks and views? Probably not concerned about the after effects. Apparently they got tested for poisoning by a doctor in subsequent episodes but I have yet to see that video.

I guess for the clicks and views? Probably not concerned about the after effects. Apparently they got tested for poisoning by a doctor in subsequent episodes but I have yet to see that video.
There is a difference between the acute effects of radiation (radiation sickness) and the long term effects (for example cancer). Sounds like they didn't get radiation poisoning which is what the doctor would be looking for, but there will be a long time (ie the rest of their lives) in which they are at risk for long term effects.

The testing they had, only measures what radioactive particles they carried out in their bodies. It did not/cannot measure what dose of ionizing radiation they received from exposure while in that zone.

Non ionizing radiation exposure is cumulative.

If they had worn a dosimeter badge before going in, the numbers would be interesting. But it depends on how long they were there, how hot the spot was, how far away they were from a really hot source. ( Inverse Square Law)

( Time, Distance, Shielding)

Last edited:
The testing they had, only measures what radioactive particles they carried out in their bodies. It did not/cannot measure what dose of ionizing radiation they received from exposure while in that zone.

Non ionizing radiation exposure is cumulative.

If they had worn a dosimeter badge before going in, the numbers would be interesting. But it depends on how long they were there, how hot the spot was, how far away they were from a really hot source. ( Inverse Square Law)

( Time, Distance, Shielding)
They may have been evaluated for radiation sickness as well.

There is a difference between the acute effects of radiation (radiation sickness) and the long term effects (for example cancer). Sounds like they didn't get radiation poisoning which is what the doctor would be looking for, but there will be a long time (ie the rest of their lives) in which they are at risk for long term effects.
One would think they would at least try to monitor their background dose. Messing with dust and dirt and who knows what else is obviously much harder to keep track of.

Given the current situation in that area, dying of radiation may very well be the least of their concerns. I myself am fascinated by seeing these although I don’t agree with their decision to go there. Being in active war zone where nuclear options are being considered would probably adjust my priorities and I’m sure has theirs too.

One would think they would at least try to monitor their background dose. Messing with dust and dirt and who knows what else is obviously much harder to keep track of.
In one episode the conversation goes:

Guy 1: "Hey! watch out, that's a very radioactive hot spot!"

Guy 2: "We camped in there last night."

It's been 36-1/2 years since the Chernobyl disaster. I wonder how much the radiation intensity has decreased, and what the half life of the contamination is.

It's been 36-1/2 years since the Chernobyl disaster. I wonder how much the radiation intensity has decreased, and what the half life of the contamination is.
I read the book "midnight in Chernobyl" which is a very well written complete history of the accident there. It was very interesting to me. Even right after the accident, some areas were super hot, and some were reasonably safe, and those areas may have only been a short distance apart.

Some of the workers that were there during the accident died within weeks, some within years, some are apparently still alive - luck of the draw.

The proper thing for these jokers to do would be wear a radiation ring or badge dosimeter. When you hit your annual allotment they change color or something. I worked with a guy that used to work on reactor stuff, he said they wore these things and once they hit their annual limit they got sent home with pay until the year was up. Not worth it IMHO but he said the money was good?

That's a war zone now . I don't know if the Russians still occupy the plant .
Yes the Russians moved in using the place to store vehicles and ammunition knowing that the home army wouldn't shell them because that would stir up serious radioactive contamination in their own country.

I was watching an earlier video where some guys were flying a drone around the Ferris wheel, and it got too close and hit a part of it, and it fell and landed in one of the seating carriages. So the other guy climbed up there to retrieve it! I guess looking back in hindsight if one could spin the wheel, they could retrieve the drone without climbing on it.

I looked into visiting Pripyat a few years ago, just to take photos. I looked into all the logistics, the tours, etc.... And they were all pretty specific as to the "rules" which had changed, no longer allowing visitors into any of the buildings, etc. So I lost interest (I wanted to go in the buildings). But I can find on Youtube any number of people going into the buildings.... Trespassing, apparently.

Back