Turbotax sucks, imo.

Preface by saying, I still do hard copy paper forms obtained from the IRS by mail, (not printed out by me) and filed via USPS, no efile. Having researched it many times, I don't qualify for free file from any service nor free efile. I'm old school and I do it my way and don't believe in paying anything extra (beyond stamp(s)) to file taxes. I view it as a tax on a tax. "Imo", if IRS wants me to file via computer software and/or with efile, it should be free for all. Been doing paper forms all my life which is many decades and includes sometimes itemization. Off my soap box.

All that said, if I was to file using a software program (if free let's say) it would definitely not be TT. I say this because after reading ProPublica articles about TT, they would never be my choice. Linked is the most article about TT with several links to the referenced PP articles. If you're interested in reading about TT "free" deception, it's worth the read imo. Seems the IRS might have caught on to TT.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/1/2...free-file-h-r-block-tax-preparation-new-rules

Last edited:
I use FreeTaxUSA now (first time last year, used HRBlock and TurboTax prior). FreeTax is equally as good or better, no problems.

I basically just have single job income, some interest and such from stocks and whatnot. Nothing complicated so I can do it very quickly. Federal is free, State is free through Ohio website... My Ohio return matched what FreeTaxUSA estimated when working through it.

I don't know about deception and Turbo Tax or HR Block. Is it really that big a deal if you pay 20 or 40 bucks to file your taxes online.

The company Intuit and HR Block need to make money somehow, everyone will not qualify for their services for "free".

Why do some people need everything for free?

I just spent $140 and over an hour of my time doing what should have been a relatively simple tax return only to be marketed to and be stuck dealing with stupid animations at every step of the process. How do they get away with charging $90 for federal and $50 for state taxes and then use your information to sell you on dozens of additional products?

Does anyone have any suggestions for other tax preparation software? I think some alternative recommendations may help others.
Yes, they do. The first year I consulted an accountant, turbotax said I owed $800. The accountant got me a refund of about $1200.

Well worth it to consult a tax professional if you have anything more than a W-2 and no house. I've been told by my firm that there is a 40 hour class each year simply to get up to speed on the CHANGES.

Back