Turbo'd Focus, Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should be getting my car back any day now. It is a Ford Focus ZX3 with a custom turbo install. I have read many of the other Focus club boards but they are all over the place with regards to oil on turbo set ups. The installers have recomended Castrol GTX 5W-30(I believe)for break in. I was previously using Amsoil SAE 5W-30 in the vehicle. My main concern is heat. I want to get at least a year more out of this engine (15K miles)so any recomendations you have would be appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by Louis Zerr:
I want to get at least a year more out of this engine (15K miles)so any recomendations you have would be appreciated.

Since you've increased the load on your main bearings and underhood temps will probably be up, I'd consider a higher viscosity synthetic.

Delvac 1 or equivalent probably fits the bill.

Good luck.

I don't think that the stock components in the engine will last more than an year and have plans for a built engine to run this turbo set up on in the future. The engine now has 35K miles on it. This car will be driven hard on track days and i don't anticiate a long life for the engine due to the increased stresses of up to 12 psi being forced into it. Thanks for the advice guys. This board rules!
bowdown.gif

Why don't you try to find the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30. It's available at most Auto Zones and seems to hold up real well to turbo's and other high stress engines.

Whimsey

if you are going to beat the crap out of it, i suggest a better oil such as a thicker m1 (5w40 sounds good) or redline.

I'd highly consider Mobil 1 R. Viscosity is one aspect, but having tons of ZDP is what I'd look for and M1R has it!
wink.gif
NASCAR uses this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
if you are going to beat the crap out of it, i suggest a better oil such as a thicker m1 (5w40 sounds good) or redline.

X2
if you are gonna beat on it, at least protect it. If you don't, it's not gonna last you long at all.

I would think a good oil for this application would be a PAO or ester based synthetic with as little VI improvers as possible since that turbo will cook the oil. M1 10w-30, Amsoil ATM 10w-30, and Redline would be perfect. I would start with these and move to a thicker oil if an UOA deems the 30 weights too light. You seem pretty set on building a new engine for this car, so experimenting to find the right oil now will save some hassle later.

quote:

Originally posted by Louis Zerr:
I don't think that the stock components in the engine will last more than an year and have plans for a built engine to run this turbo set up on in the future. The engine now has 35K miles on it. This car will be driven hard on track days and i don't anticiate a long life for the engine due to the increased stresses of up to 12 psi being forced into it. Thanks for the advice guys. This board rules!
bowdown.gif

I'd go with a full syn, either 10W-30 or 15W-40. Maybe you don't even need to worry about oil too much though, since you sound intent on breaking some internals in the near future!
cool.gif
burnout.gif

how new is the engine?

if it's already broken in, just use m1 10w30, and do a UOA sometime soon.

I am gonna be using a Garrett T3. This thing will spool fast with the A/R's i will be runnin and i don't want to hurt it so much. Like i said i don't want to kill my car right away (fiances mad about the whole new engine bit) so i want it to last a while so i can spread the cost of building the new engine over time. You guys are a great help here and i appreciate the advice. I will probably use the M1 10W-30 based on a majority of the comments. A UOA in a cycle or 2 and i should be able to figure out what i need to do to help this sucker last a little.

Dont forget Motul 300V. I recommend the 5W-40 or 10W-40 as the bulk temperature of the oil is gonna be a bit higher than without the turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back