Turbocharger Whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the semi-rural area where I live there are a lot of pickups, many are of the diesel variety. I have noticed that a significant number have loud turbocharger whistle, some are downright obnoxious. Is this due to some defect or mechanical condition or did the owners do something to the engine to cause it to be so loud?

People insecure of their masculinity. I love turbo whistle as much as the next guy, and have owned a good number of turbo and turbodiesels... But no need to roll coal and all the silliness.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
People insecure of their masculinity. I love turbo whistle as much as the next guy, and have owned a good number of turbo and turbodiesels... But no need to roll coal and all the silliness.

Yep, maybe they lacked attention as a child and now do anything and everything to get it. This includes both arms full of tattoos and chrome testicles under rear bumper.

to answer the question, yes, they did something. They removed the mufflers on intake and or exhaust and turned up the power, now they spew cancer causing soot and other pollution everywhere they go.

Rod

I noticed that when I took off the factory air filter on my Dodge diesel and put in a K&N, the turbo whistle got louder. The factory filter had a foam pre-filter that I assume was silencing the high frequency whistle. Then when I put on the less restrictive exhaust, more chirping could be heard out the exhaust. And when I put on the aftermarket turbo, I didn't really notice much of a change in the overall volume of turbo noise, but it did develop more of an accel and decel whistle that I think is pretty cool. But I'm a turbo lover. I do have to admit, however, that the high frequency whistle gets to be obnoxious after a ten-hour day of towing. Some times it feel like my skull is going to split, then I'll go [censored].

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thanks. It wasn't as much a question about manliness as it was to know if there was something wrong with the trucks. Sometimes it is definitely a bro dozer type of truck but a lot of times it is what appears to be a normal work truck.

Most you can hear on acceleration but there are some that even at idle are loud.

Not impressed with the noise, the smoke, OR the ox cart suspension under them. Haven't run across one yet that was faster than my V6 Camry.

start with an intake, then a downpipe, and then a straight pipe exhaust. That's when you really hear the turbo whistle.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
OK thanks. It wasn't as much a question about manliness as it was to know if there was something wrong with the trucks. Sometimes it is definitely a bro dozer type of truck but a lot of times it is what appears to be a normal work truck.

Most you can hear on acceleration but there are some that even at idle are loud.

Like has been said, open exhaust or intake make the whistling more obvious BUT it's not always harmless. If the whistling gets louder there's a very distinct possibility the turbo is damaged.

My late model bone stock diesel F350's did the whistle and I understand the massive noise but new and bone stock they have the whistle and the Fords growl rather loudly leaving the line no matter how fast or slow.
More of a Hawks whistle but its still there

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
My late model bone stock diesel F350's did the whistle and I understand the massive noise but new and bone stock they have the whistle and the Fords growl rather loudly leaving the line no matter how fast or slow.
More of a Hawks whistle but its still there

Yeah the 6.0 did bone stock from the factory.

Modified exhaust most likely.
The popularity of modding diesels is like the craze of the ricer crowd modding Hondas 10 years ago. The Diesel Brothers show is adding to the popularity, and the aftermarket are just crazy with tunes and parts to support rolling coal, and making noise. It's the latest redneck thing... even Blake Shelton had a huge truck in a country video. My diesel guy just told me that GM's proprietary software in the diesels was cracked two weeks ago, and tunes for 17's are already rolling out.
Don't forget your tow mirrors have to stick out like moose antlers, and a big Cummins or PowerStroke sticker on the rear window adds another 50 horses.
My exhaust is stock, I run a very mild FICM tune that gets me an extra 40 horsepower. No smoke, great driveability, and tows 10k all day long like nothing is there. I cant ask for, and don't want anymore.

Last edited:
I'm actually looking at a particular '84 Crew Cab with the 5.9 Cummins. Hopefully it's still for sale in April-May.

Exhaust, injectors, fuel plate, and bigger turbo will be almost immediate. 400hp and 900ft-lbs would be the goal.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm actually looking at a particular '84 Crew Cab with the 5.9 Cummins. Hopefully it's still for sale in April-May.

Exhaust, injectors, fuel plate, and bigger turbo will be almost immediate. 400hp and 900ft-lbs would be the goal.

Don't get greedy spec'ing the turbo. Most of those aftermarket tuner places will sell you something that doesn't light until 2500 rpm, and will produce stupid amounts of acceleration smoke. You need something that is lit by 1600 rpm if you want a truck that is usable on the street.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Don't get greedy spec'ing the turbo. Most of those aftermarket tuner places will sell you something that doesn't light until 2500 rpm, and will produce stupid amounts of acceleration smoke. You need something that is lit by 1600 rpm if you want a truck that is usable on the street.

Thats a fair point. I've read that 300hp/600tq is achievable with minimal work - that may be the way to go for something that's going to get driven.

The plan would be to drive it while I'm home, and let's my pops drive it while I'm away. His '86 C10 is giving him more trouble than he wants to deal with.

My justification to the wife is, "we're homeowners! What if we need to pick up mulch???"

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Thats a fair point. I've read that 300hp/600tq is achievable with minimal work - that may be the way to go for something that's going to get driven.

The plan would be to drive it while I'm home, and let's my pops drive it while I'm away. His '86 C10 is giving him more trouble than he wants to deal with.

My justification to the wife is, "we're homeowners! What if we need to pick up mulch???"

My truck runs up to 435 HP / 945 ft*lbs at the rear wheels with a maximum boost of 40 psi. This was achieved using an Industrial Injection Phat Shaft 62 turbo with the 14 cm^2 turbine housing. At the time I specified this turbo, I was chasing the diesel truck record at the Ohio Mile, and wanted to make sure I made top-end power. Below 2000 rpm, this turbo was very lazy, and the engine would not produce peak torque until 2300 rpm. I lived with this turbo on the street for 3 years, but found that I was driving it very gingerly to keep from rolling coal every time I tipped into the accelerator. The sales guy that sold it to me said I could tow with it, and I could, but I had to watch the exhaust temperature if I was towing at 1750 rpm and had to climb a hill. If the exhaust temp hit 1200F, I would downshift so the engine could run over 2200 rpm, where the turbo was happy.

The factory turbo on my truck produced its maximum boost of 19 psi by 1600 rpm, so there was no concern with transient smoke in daily street driving. As I added fueling, I messed around with the wastegate and put a boost fooler on it to pump the boost up to 27 psi. This was about the limit that could be gotten with the factory turbo, as the compressor didn't have the flow capacity to make the power I required at 3200 rpm. That is how I got into buying the aftermarket turbo.

Last summer I got tired of babying the accelerator on my truck and bought a 12 cm^2 turbine housing to retrofit onto the Phat Shaft 62 turbo, hoping to bring back the low-speed boost of the factory turbo. It didn't quite get there, but transient response below 2000 rpm is much improved, and I can tow at 1750 rpm, keeping the exhaust temp at 1200F while climbing hills at full throttle.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
In the semi-rural area where I live there are a lot of pickups, many are of the diesel variety. I have noticed that a significant number have loud turbocharger whistle, some are downright obnoxious. Is this due to some defect or mechanical condition or did the owners do something to the engine to cause it to be so loud?

It's just another form of white trash "bling".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back