Turbo Volvo makeup oil XD-3 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

I run XD-3 0W30 in my turbo Volvo, but still have to add ~2L over 10K KM's. I used to add Esso 15W40 (now changed to Mobil Delvac 1300, according to Esso Bulk Oil dealer) but it's now $4.15/L - not a lot cheaper than the XD-3 @ $6.33/L.

What are recommendations for a more inexpensive makeup oil - something 15w40 or maybe 5W40?
21.gif

Try the 5w40 Rotella or equivalent. 15 40 may be overkill but it doesn't get too cold in Vancouver in the low areas so you could try it. If nothing works just find the cheapest stuff you can and put it in. I lived in White Rock for three years you anywhere near there?

40 weight is not going to stop the oil consumption.

I assume you have a 2.4 L turbo 5 cylinder. The consumption is happening in a number of suspect areas.

-PCV routing
-blow by in the turbo
-blow by in the rings

I had an issue with this engine consuming too much oil. I ran Auto RX in it and after one course, the consumption went down to nothing for a year. It was consuming similar to yours before the Auto RX. I attribute it to rings being clogged up.

And you can run 5/30 in that engine just fine. 10/30 for the summer is you wish

Maybe I'm missing something here. You're not looking for a replacement oil, but just topping off the current fill until the next change, right? I don't see why you wouldn't continue with the original fill oil.

See if the usage can be remedied as volvomix addressed it. Otherwise, I'd simply re-examine your oil choice. If the oil is good enough for a top-off, it's good enough for the original fill.

Originally Posted By: volvomix

Both times I've used Shell and GTX in a 10W30 - the consumption is greater. Plus the engine is louder (more valve noise methinks). It seems to lessen using the thicker XD-3 0W30, or a 15W40.

-PCV routing
-blow by in the turbo
-blow by in the rings

PCV is fine - blowing backwards through pipe with oil cap off nets little resistance. Turbo is not blowing past much oil, as intercooler draining is minimal. Don't know about the rings.

Consumption is ~3L per 10K KM's, not 2L too.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
I don't see why you wouldn't continue with the original fill oil.

Cost. XD-3 0W30 is $6.33/L

I'm sure you must have thought about it, considering your time here, but how about Castrol Syntec 0W-30?

I assume you have a 2.4 L turbo 5 cylinder.

It's the 2.3L B230 redblock.

Thanks guys, I'll try to get Rotella T 15W40 on sale. EDIT: @rshunter - I'll check out Syntec, but my guess is it's costly too.

Last edited:

I had an issue with this engine consuming too much oil. I ran Auto RX in it and after one course, the consumption went down to nothing for a year. It was consuming similar to yours before the Auto RX. I attribute it to rings being clogged up.

While I don't consider the consumption that excessive, If the car was mine I'd likely take your advice and try the Auto RX. Although I wonder if running an ester based oil like RL would not accomplish the same thing not to mention being more economical?

I do agree that running a 40wt oil is not the solution.

Several changes of an ester-rich oil would probably help, though you may not know for a year or two.

Guys, a few of the local Volvo shops were using 15W40 ... these are Volvo redblocks, not Honda motors.

Quote:
Volvo Oil Recommendations and Warranty Requirements. [Technical Service Bulletin 174901201 and Service Maintenance Bulletin SMB-17-4, Dec 90, updated by SMB 22-3 of Feb 1995 and July 1998] This TSB has a discussion of the dangers of using oils with too heavy a viscosity grade. Volvo's recommended oil viscosity in most climates is 10W-30 (with 5W-30 acceptable in colder climates.) The maximum acceptable viscosity, which is reserved for extreme duty only, is 15W-40.

http://www.vcoa.org/700-900-faq/EngineLubrication.html

And during holidays, using AC, loaded down and driving in hot weather is when consumption is highest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back