Turbo Scion tC (2AZ-FE) oil filter / oil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, I'm happy to say that this is my first post after months of reading and learning from the forums.
A little background:
Own a 2006 Turbo Scion tC(2AZ-FE) 4 cyl. same as Camry/rav4
Live in Houston TX, mostly warm all year round.
Driving habits 80% highway and 20% city.
Not auto crossing at the moment, but planing on doing in the future. Only thing I do is the occasional drag track weekend, maybe race in private empty roads :roll: and WOT pull here and there (almost every day). Other than that I baby my car in the highway.

Before I went turbo I used to run PP 5W30/M1 EP oil filter, post turbo I used PP for about 6k miles and then decided to try RP 5W30/K&N oil filter (42,000 - 57,000 current miles). I decided to switch because I felt like I needed something stronger that PP (didn't know about BITOG), but I had to top off the car every two weeks. All in all it used to be about 1/2 a quart every oil change. So far with RP I haven't had the need for make up oil, which is always good.

These cars (2az-fe) dyno at around 142whp stock, at 7psi it dynoed at 247whp on a Mustang dyno. Since then I up'ed the boost to 10.5psi and it is a monster, have not had the chance to dyno it yet cuz I'm self tuning it, but my butt dyno tells me 297whp :p From what I've seen, there are better syns for the price you pay for RP.

I have in mind:
Amsoil SSO 0W30
Amsoil 5W30
Pennzoil Platinum

In that order:
(-30)
VI PP FP Noack TBN HTHS CCS V CCS T cSt@100 cSt@40
173 -60 446 8.7 13.2 3.2 5927 ? 10.3 56.6
170 -58 439 6.9 12.2 3.2 5190 ? 10.8 60.7
166 -49 435.2 11.6 ? 3 5200 ? 10.2 57.5

With that being said, I don't mind spending the extra money in Amsoil, it's just that the SSO look soo similar to the PP that it's confusing. What I mean is that they almost look like a 0W20, which I'm cool with. I'm not interested in super duper long intervals, but would like to justify the cost of Amsoil over PP. Maybe 6k -7k or more intervals in this type of conditions.

Second part of the question, I've seen some guys running over sized oil filters. My engine uses ex. M1-103 stock or M1-209 over sized. I'm I going to loose oil pressure, I'm already routing some oil to the Turbo. I also read somewhere that even though the K&N is a good filter, it doesn't flow as much as a WIX. Supposedly the holes on top aren't as big, don't know what to say. Also would like to figure out spring pressure recommended and such. I was reading on my manual that the car should red 36-78 psi at 3000rpm, so it gives me some room to play with.

I also took it upon myself to compare some filters and found out that Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Royal Purple and K&N oil filters are made by the same manufacturer, same specs and all. Only difference is can color and the nipple on the K&N. I was thinking that if the over sized one is not beneficial, that I would look into an Amsoil Ea filter or a WIX for better flow.

Sorry for the long post guys, but what do ya think?

Last edited:
This will go against wisdom here, but I don't 'like' the idea of 30-weight in a raced turbo. Yeah, it will be fine, but I'd buy myself the extra peace of mind, and run a 0W-40, 5W-40, or 10W-40.

Redline or M1 0W-40; RTS or Redline 5W-40; or Amsoil XL or AMO 10W-40 would be some of my choices.....

sorry if I sounded like I'm a race maniac, this is my Daily Driver by the way. Just wasn't sure if I wanted to sacrifice could start and thick oil through turbo for some protection during WOT, which only lasts about 15 secs. During normal operations I'm running lower than 212F, probably 190. I know these oils run at around 10cSt at 212, my guess is that it will be a lot thicker at 190. Is that correct?
Thanks though, I'll look into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back