Turbo noise.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Was this your car??

I could tell the turbo noise sounded off, I thought from audio compression. Here's the real reason. From the video comments.

"-Gran Turismo 6 Gameplay"

I can't hear my Chevy Cruze turbo unless I have the door open going up my driveway, then it's very faint. I discovered this by accident as my papergirl threw my newspaper in the driveway instead of the box. I leaned out my door to pick it up and gassed on it up the driveway w/door open and heard that little turbo scream for mercy.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Was this your car??

I could tell the turbo noise sounded off, I thought from audio compression. Here's the real reason. From the video comments.

"-Gran Turismo 6 Gameplay"

Oh goodness! It was a video game? Funny thing,I did think the gauges looked a little too "animated" haha I was thinking he had a pos phone shooting the video or something :p

This is my friend's car. Definitely sounds more realistic
laugh.gif
You can hear the turbos spool at around 15 seconds in the video.

turbo in the 09 s60 is dead silent. one thing I'll note is that it doesn't have a wastegate that bleeds into the engine bay. Rather, it has a control valve that bypasses the turbo into its own manifold - so all of the atmosphere in motion is contained within the plumbing. You can barely perceive a "wooosh" sound, not a whine, but a woosh of air circulating when you really dig in. But if you have any other sounds, such as the HVAC, or even NPR, it's masked. 261hp and 258 ft/lbs from 2100 rpm. Not shabby. OTOH, for some reason the 2009 gets really poor MPG by s60 standards, different from the other years.

Last edited:
The Malibu makes 20lbs (that is my understanding) 2.0 LTG rated a 259hp and 295 Ft/lbs of torque.
Not a peep. Wish you could hear it.

You can definitely hear it boosting up in the GTI, but honestly the BOV noise is more pronounced. I know they make aftermarket BOV's that perform and sound better, which I'm looking into, because racecar...

Now my boss's Ecoboost F150 you can hardly hear it, kinda disappointing if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back