Turbo noise.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious, why are some turbos louder than other? I never thought much of it, and thought all turbos have that sweet whoosh / whistle sound when spooling. Last week I had a rental 2017 Volvo S60 with the 2.0 Turbo and I heard no turbo noise. I am used to driving the VW in my sig, a 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI and it makes a noticeable but enjoyable turbo noise under boost. So what causes some turbos to make noise, and others to be more silent? For the record, I prefer the noise.

Many things can influence how much sound you hear from the turbo..

How big the turbo is
Where the turbo is located in the engine compartment
How much insulation is packed in the engine compartment
How many other engine/exhaust components are built around the turbo
Turbo design
... etc...

Just the design. Volvo owners usually are not interested in hearing any mechanical noises, so the engineers have dealt with them accordingly.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I am curious, why are some turbos louder than other? I never thought much of it, and thought all turbos have that sweet whoosh / whistle sound when spooling. Last week I had a rental 2017 Volvo S60 with the 2.0 Turbo and I heard no turbo noise. I am used to driving the VW in my sig, a 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI and it makes a noticeable but enjoyable turbo noise under boost. So what causes some turbos to make noise, and others to be more silent? For the record, I prefer the noise.

If that is the Drive-E engine, it has both a supercharger and a turbocharger. On just tooling around, I suspect it will be running mostly on the supercharger and you would not hear the turbo.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
If that is the Drive-E engine, it has both a supercharger and a turbocharger. On just tooling around, I suspect it will be running mostly on the supercharger and you would not hear the turbo.

The Volvo S60 is turbocharged only.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

For that year model (2017) S60 (and depending on model), the 2.5L is turbocharged only (5-cylinder) but the 2.0L (4-cylinder) is both belt-driven supercharged and exhaust-driven turbo charged. Makes like 316HP.

Last edited:
It's all in the design. The turbos on the Acura RDX are loud, but the much larger turbo on my 1er can not be heard at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

For that year model (2017) S60 (and depending on model), the 2.5L is turbocharged only (5-cylinder) but the 2.0L (4-cylinder) is both belt-driven supercharged and exhaust-driven turbo charged. Makes like 316HP.
I was under the impression that the s60 is turbocharged only, and xc90 is the only one that is both Turbo- and Super- charged.

When I took the factory air filter off my Ram turbodiesel and replaced it with a K&N, the turbo noise got much more noticeable. The original factory filter had a foam pre-filter on it. Apparently inlet air system design has a lot to do with it.

2015.5+ S60's are available only with the Drive-E T5 engine which is turbocharged ONLY and produces 240hp/258tq.

The Drive-E T6 is twincharged and is available in the XC60, XC90, S90, and V90.

I don't hear the turbo in my 850 T5, and I don't feel it either. I'm used to Japanese turbos where they come in with a bang...the Volvo just feels like it's got a big engine...you can see the boost gauge on boost, it's just always there, never a wait.

I love the loud in my face turbo music from my '87 Buick GN under full boost. Can hear it over smoking tires too.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I love the loud in my face turbo music from my '87 Buick GN under full boost. Can hear it over smoking tires too.

Best post of the day!
grin.gif

I have an open air filter element on my Cummins 3.9L-4BTA in my '79 F250.

I love the "noise" when on boost!

My turbo Mustang had so much turbo noise on full boost, you almost couldn't hear the exhaust anymore. When reviewing in-car video, you hear them spool up.... & just "white noise" after that.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Sound of power.

2015.5+ S60's are available only with the Drive-E T5 engine which is turbocharged ONLY and produces 240hp/258tq.

The Drive-E T6 is twincharged and is available in the XC60, XC90, S90, and V90.

From their website and in the USA, the 2017 S60 "R-Design" is the T6 AWD which has the 2.0L 4-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged Drive-E based engine. Produces (non-Polestar version) 302HP/295lb.ft. w/32MPG highway. Very nice!
The Polestar version of this car and drivetrain makes 362HP/347lb.ft w/27MPG highway.

A bit like Silk described, my (ex) Nissan there was little boost down low, but you knew when it came in...

The Colorado, you can hear the turbo starting to work as you pull away from the kerb...it's there all the time (Captiva pretty much the same too)

Originally Posted By: Silk
I'm used to Japanese turbos where they come in with a bang

That's what I like!! As soon as you get boost,it throws you back in the seat.

Like the 2 strokes before power valves, they hit faster than your brain could react. While it's fun to have the turbo kick in hard, I really like the Euro approach, it's a total package, not an add on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back