Turbo in my 2.0 Jaguar

Although not a common way to think of a turbocharger, it is causing the engine to operate in a more dense atmosphere.

We drive up Pikes Peak and a normally aspirated engine loses power as the air thins out. Similarly as we head back down, the more dense atmosphere results in more air for the engine and more power.

Thank you guys from OP. While watching a YT video "Do's & Don'ts on Turbo" I read a comment from one who watched the video to floor the gas pedal from time to time in order to lube the Turbo. Is this true? It sounds a little crazy.
Yep, that’s crazy. Oil pressure is oil pressure, oil pump output is what it is, so the turbo is getting lubed the same at the same engine RPM regardless of turbo RPM.

Another example of YouTube morons masquerading as experts.

The best thing you can do for turbo durability, is to allow the engine to idle for a solid 15-20 seconds before putting the car in gear, and drive it gently until the oil temperature has stabilized, around 15 minutes into your drive.

This ensures that the turbo charger has a good oil supply before it’s asked to spool up and provide power, and you keep it from going to max rpm until the oil temperature is stable.

Additionally, when you go to shut down the engine, especially if the car has been driven at high speed, or full throttle, is to allow the engine to idle for another 30 seconds or so, before shutting it off. This ensures, that the turbo RPM has a chance spool down, and you keep oil flow to the turbo, while it spins down.

Even better, is to drive it gently for the last five minutes of your drive, then let it idle for a few seconds, then shut it off, that way the turbo will be completely cool and spooled down, when the oil supply is shut off.

My wife is not a car person. But her Volvo XC is a turbo charged car approaching 300,000 miles on the original turbo charger. It sees a lot of short trips, and around town driving.

Her drive is perfect, we have a very slow speed street for about half a mile, before she pulls out on a medium speed road. The car is driven as I described above, because of the nature of her commute. So, the turbo charger isn’t stressed until the engine is warmed up and she gets on the freeway 10 minutes later, and when she comes home, the car is driven very gently for the last five minutes before idling in the driveway for a few seconds and shut off.

A little bit of care and consideration for the turbo charger has resulted in a very long life.

what would you call it?
Press the pedal?

Here in SC we use "mash the button" to select the elevator floor we want. Seems sensible to me.

When I lived in SC, I was managing a textile test lab. When operating tensile test machines and other test machines, the technicians in the lab would use the phrase "mash the button" to start the operation.

I always found this use of the phrase odd. For me, to mash something is to crush it, to the degree where you change it's form, such as mashing potatoes.

Last edited:
Porsche from what I understand began using varible vane turnos a few years ago. They supposedly have ultra quick spool and high end power
Yes my Cayman S has one. Turbo lag is minimal. To the OP 2 seconds doesnt sound correct that is way too long. You might have other issues.

Yes my Cayman S has one. Turbo lag is minimal. To the OP 2 seconds doesnt sound correct that is way too long. You might have other issues.
Thought it was 2 seconds, but actually less than that. It was just a speculation while I was typing the original post. Sorry for the confusion. It is hard sometimes driving a car with a turbo engine today and then drive a non-turbo engine the next day. A lot of times I'm very careful not to miscalculate the lag time in a turbo vs a non-turbo engine, it's always on my mind all the time.

It used to be that the turbos would have a lag (I remember the old Mitsubishis with twin turbos). I don't think I've seen a noticeable lag in late models. Maybe it's the transmission down shifting that is causing the sensation of lag.

Back