Turbo Hydramatic 125C pan leaking...gasket material choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the old three speed transmission rebuilt just a bit over 2.5 years ago, and just recently the pan is leaking lots. The trans shop used a cork gasket on the pan.

I guess I could re-torque the pan bolts, but not sure that would help with the leak. I plan on dropping the pan, and installing a new filter and gasket. I have three choices for pan gasket material. Cork, ACDelco Professional Farpak, and ATP fibrous that seals with first heat cycle. Definitely not going with cork. No idea what Farpak is. The ATP fibrous sounds interesting, and I don't need to use a sealer with it.

ATP is reasonably priced, and the Farpak stuff costs about three times as much. Has anybody used the ATP kits with the fibrous heat cycle sealing gaskets?

To me the best is the GM one with steel in between molded on rubber type gasket. Never leaks and reusable. Is this the ACDelco Professional Farpak?

Farpak is also a fiber material with a heat sensitive glue, It's similar to what a TH125 would have had from the factory. 4L60E's used this style gasket 'til end of production in 2013......Works well if the pan hasn't bent-up by using a cork gasket.

If the ATP one is packaged flat like a Farpak.....Give it a try!

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

If you never want leaks again.

I ordered the ATP filter and gasket kit.

@clinebarger: Was not sure what Farpak was. Now I know...thanks.

@atikovi: The Ultra Grey is definitely my choice for a gasket maker. I have almost a full tube of it right now waiting for the next repair job. There is no way I would use it on a transmission pan. If just a little bit of it got in the trans valve body it could clog it up easily, so it's a no go for me.

Originally Posted by BigD1
There is no way I would use it on a transmission pan. If just a little bit of it got in the trans valve body it could clog it up easily, so it's a no go for me.

1. The filter would prevent that.
2. You're using way too much if that is a concern.
3. Any RTV that squeezes out just stays there, it doesn't drop into the pan.
4. Most modern transmissions use it instead of a solid gasket because it's superior in preventing leaks.

Originally Posted by BigD1
I ordered the ATP filter and gasket kit.

You should be fine with that. I've used a few of the gray ATP fiber gaskets with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back