Turbo Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
What (API or ACEA)test do they use to determine how well a motor oil will hold up in a turbo charged engine, When they state on the bottle turbo approved are they basing this on a standard test or is it mostly marketing.
confused.gif

Thanks

I believe it's just marketing as they never say who it's approved by, so "turbo-approved" means nothing to me. There's no association that approves oils for turbo use. What you really need to do is read the oil's ratings, such as API & ACEA, and compare them with your engine's requirements.

Castrol GTX has been labelled Turbo Approved for as long as I can remember.

I even recall their SF formula Castrol XLR here in Canada was labelled Turbo approved, as that's what I used in my 88 Dodge Shadow Turbo. I was insane back then, I drove 1000km per week and changed my oil every 3000km! I even used Fram filters too!
shocked.gif
The turbo did die a rather early death (125,000 miles) but my sister owned the car from the 50k mark on, and even though I did her oil changes for her still (using Mobil 1 from that point on) I didn't quite keep up with her busy life, so often times the intervals were probably way longer than they should've been. It would've been interesting to see how long it would've lasted if I had continued the 3000km changes with Castrol dino oil.

A guy at work heard that I used some "good stuff"(Schaeffer's)
grin.gif
and wanted to know if it was turbo approved.I got to thinking that it was a common enough phrase but I couldn't recall a specific test regarding turbo's. The only one I found regarding this is ACEA E4 and E5 test 2.4 for turbocharger cleanliness which don't apply to him(he has an 03 or 04 Neon with a turbo)I would think Schaeffer's #701 5w30 would do very well for him based on Stuarts Neon analysis
Good Golly Miss Moly

RB, as far as I know, I've not seen any kind of standard test for turbos. IMO, if there was/is, I'd think that schaeffers would post it on their td's as they post ALL of their test data. Look up the tech data sheets on those "turbo approved" oils and see if they show any technical tests to show turbo approved. I suspect it is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

The best way to determine if an oil is going to hold up for a turbo is the ht/hs. If it meets the euro specs a3 etccc, then it will work in a turbo no problem. I'd disregard any standard api spec for qualifying the oil's ability to stand up for turbo's.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
... I'd disregard any standard api spec for qualifying the oil's ability to stand up for turbo's.

shocked.gif
Wow, I find this comment interesting! (Especially coming from THE Oil Guy!!
worshippy.gif
) Care to add any explanation ... ?

My bottle of Castrol GTX isn't labeld Turbo Approved, but I do remember seeing thoes 'tags' on other bottles not too long ago. In fact, I think I bought oil for my turbo Shadow because of thoes
lol.gif

I remember Valvoline used to have their "Turbo" 10W-30 dino oil that the SAAB dealer used but they also had a regular 10W-30.

quote:

Originally posted by Virtuoso:
My bottle of Castrol GTX isn't labeld Turbo Approved, but I do remember seeing thoes 'tags' on other bottles not too long ago. In fact, I think I bought oil for my turbo Shadow because of thoes
lol.gif

Yes, in the early 1990s Castrol GTX did say "turbo approved." I agree that the term should be regarded as mere marketing hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back