Tundra died while going down the road.....

I would pull a timing cover by the cam and see if it move. If its “hanging Up” on something like you say, it could be a piston hitting a valve.

Seems like the upper timing covers are easy to remove on that engine. Take them off and have a look.

1 = engine died
2 = cranked on it
3 = started thread, not engine

Damage control instinct is to verify timing belt condition
Then … starter circuit … fuel delivery … ignition etc …

i have to turn key completely off to get it to stop trying to turn over, What could be going on here.....Hopefully not a timing belt failure........

If you mean it continues to crank until the key is turned off that is a sure sign as others have said of a failed ignition switch.
A bad starter solenoid should not prevent it from running though just keep the starter engaged, a bad ignition switch can prevent it from running.

This truck has an oddball ignition switch though. I've only seen it in the 00-06 Tundras. When you turn it to Start, it snaps back to the "On" position and the computer handles the rest. You don't manually hold it in the Start position until the engine starts, like most other cars. If the engine doesn't start, it will just turn over. In the 16 years that I had a 1st gen Tundra, I never had a no-start condition, so I don't know how long it takes for the computer to time out.

If you mean it continues to crank until the key is turned off that is a sure sign as others have said of a failed ignition switch.
A bad starter solenoid should not prevent it from running though just keep the starter engaged, a bad ignition switch can prevent it from running.

This truck has an oddball ignition switch though. I've only seen it in the 00-06 Tundras. When you turn it to Start, it snaps back to the "On" position and the computer handles the rest. You don't manually hold it in the Start position until the engine starts, like most other cars. If the engine doesn't start, it will just turn over. In the 16 years that I had a 1st gen Tundra, I never had a no-start condition, so I don't know how long it takes for the computer to time out.

I didnt know that, thanks for the info.

My 2003 Trailblazer does the same thing, just bump the key to the start position and release. The starter continues until the engine fires. Never had a no start condition so no idea how long it would try to start if something was wrong.

Yeah, my '00 you had to hold the key in the start position, my '05 you did not. I wasn't a fan of that system - I guess it was one step from a push-button ignition, which I am also not a fan of. But I'm old.

I also don't remember on that engine if you can see a cam through the oil fill cap w/ a flashlight. Probably not.

Back