Tundra died while going down the road.....

Hey Guys

Got in the truck this morning and everything was fine, pulled away from house and it died going down the road a mile from house, the truck is a 2006 with 200k, and i had the timing belt-water pump changed at 125k, hoping its not that, when i pulled over and tried to crank it will turn over fine, just wont crank, but i did notice when i try to crank it gets hung up trying to crank if that makes sense, i have to turn key completely off to get it to stop trying to turn over, What could be going on here.....Hopefully not a timing belt failure........

If it sounds like it is cranking evenly with compression on all cylinders it may be the ignition switch failed. If it cranks like some cylinders don't have compression then check the timing belt.

Sounds like timing belt. Since you've already tried cranking it, take a video of the sound it makes while cranking. My Camry died while driving last year and it sounded really weird when cranking, timing belt had broken

Hopefully not the timing belt. The belts last a long time... Maybe it's the starter? Check your battery leads.
Good luck.

I don't think timing belts last much longer then the mfgr wants them to. My wife had a Kia Sportage years back, and the manual said to change the belt at 60k. Well being the usual vehicle owner, we failed to pay attention to that little tidbit. And well the belt did last to 100k, then broke leaving us on the side of the highway. And it did what your vehicle is doing, cranking but not starting. It might be something else, as it's an old truck. Luckily for us it wasn't an interference motor, and all that was needed was another belt. No bent valves. You say you had it done 75k miles ago, I guess it depends on whose belt they used. One way to find out.,,,

Your use of “turn over” and “crank” is confusing. They mean the same thing to me.

So, engine rotated but did not begin running on gasoline?

In which case, you’re likely lacking either spark (ignition) or fuel.

Timing and compression are the other requirements. We’re going to assume compression is good (no catastrophic failure), and that timing (belt) is still OK.

Hey Guys

Got in the truck this morning and everything was fine, pulled away from house and it died going down the road a mile from house, the truck is a 2006 with 200k, and i had the timing belt-water pump changed at 125k, hoping its not that, when i pulled over and tried to crank it will turn over fine, just wont crank, but i did notice when i try to crank it gets hung up trying to crank if that makes sense, i have to turn key completely off to get it to stop trying to turn over, What could be going on here.....Hopefully not a timing belt failure........

Post a video of trying to start it

Sounds like an ignition switch issue. You say the engine keeps turning over without you cranking it?

Pull one of the timing covers and have someone else turn the key to start. Belt no turn = broken belt.

Could be the crank angle sensor (aka crankshaft position sensor). On my 2001 Tundra, the wire to the crank angle sensor was near the front of the truck and easy to damage during maintenance.

"Turn over but won't crank", is not confusing if you are from the Deep South. He means the starter will rotate the engine but it won't run. Or another way we say it the South, "it won't fire off."

Possibly the ignition switch so you have to turn the key all the way off for it to stop running that means the ignition and fuel are still going until that point. If not an ignition switch possibly another electrical issue. I have not personally diagnosed an issue like this so not sure the best way to do so. I like others here are confused by what you mean it turns over but doesn’t crank are you saying the starter turns over and just won’t start it?

Fire off I can understand. The starter cranks the engine over.
"Yes you're description is confusing. When you turn the key to start does the engine spin over?" Based on this comment I assumed you didn't understand that he was saying that "the starter cranks the engine over". Now I'm confused.

On 1st-gen Tundra, you don’t continue to hold the key once the starter operates. The truck handles cutting power to the starter when the engine starts up. That is why he has to switch it off manually.

Could be spark, fuel or timing belt. The belt and water pump was changed--but was the rollers and any of the other parts? Sometimes people skip on those parts, and they can be what takes it out. Or one can just get unlucky and have one of those parts break anyhow. Hard to say, needs hands on to figure out.

Heck it could just be a blown fuse. Maybe rodent damage?

Back