TSB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIA,

My Dad bought a new Jeep 08 Liberty about 18 months ago. He is very pleased with it so far. While surfing the www I noticed a TSB that requires a flash programing. I notified my father and told him, he says the Jeep runs great, called the dealer and they say there are no TSB's on his Liberty. Going to Jeep forums many members are complaining about the TC Shudder and A/C problems mentioned that this TSB addresses.

Since dad has no problems and the dealer says there are no TSB's based on running his vin do we leave well enough alone? Dad is someone who wants to stay as far from a dealer as possible, I don't want him to have problems later on.

Again thanks!

AD

It's possible to have a TSB issued on only a certain run of VINs for a model year. If they checked his VIN for a TSB and found nothing, they're not going to take any action and any problems he encounters with the TC or a/c will be a regular warranty fix.

Interesting, a TSB can only cover a certain run of VINS? Even if the TSB says "built before" a certain date. I have an 08 Jeep Liberty and I called the dealer about a TSB I saw in a Jeep forum and they told me unless I got a letter in the mail not to worry. According to the TSB I saw online my Jeep is included, the dealer is saying no, they checked the vin. I didn't notice any problems so I'm leaving mine alone. Now I'm confused, and thinking Jeep and the dealership loses money on these things and they're not telling the truth???????????????

The TSB on my clutch only covered certain VINs. They identified a problem with pressure plates installed between xx/xx/2006 and xx/xx/2007, determined which VINs were built within those dates, and issued the TSB. It helped that my clutch was displaying all the symptoms listed in the TSB, which is another requirement. Even if a TSB is issued for a VIN that includes yours, if your vehicle isn't displaying the listed symptoms, the dealership isn't required to do anything.

the vin # includes where in the run of a model the vehicle was... i.e., the jeep may be number 1522, out of whatever number were made. They know which were made when, so it likely truly goes by VIN in many cases, but this relates to a date when, say, a sw change was implemented or whatever.

That is what confused me. My guess is the last numbers of the vin run in succession of when the vehicle was built. Now if they say vehicles built before Dec 07 and the build date says July 07 then my guess is the vehicle is part of the TSB. Mine falls into this group, yet the dealer says there are no TSB's on my Jeep, and I'm not experiencing any of the problems that others are experiencing.

I don't want problems down the road, but was told when I called there are no TSB's on my Jeep. I guess it is my lack of trush for dealers that is playing into this, or a little of my OCD.

if you arent experiencing the symptoms, the TSB does not apply. a TSB is not a recall, once you are out of warranty its gone. their main purpose is to help technicians in diagnosing random problems, or to release info supplemental to the service manual.

also a problem with forums that have TSB lists is they keep up old TSBs that no longer apply or have been replaced with updated ones.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go with my first impression, I'll leave well enough alone, be happy the TSB doesn't apply to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back