Trying to remove interior trim 2007 Kia Rondo - I think I have to remove these fasteners

tomlct

2007 Kia Rondo. I need to replace the antenna base. It is attached from the underside of the roof, near the rear edge and tailgate, so I have to remove enough of the plastic trim to drop the headliner down a little. I was not able to get the trim loose in the areas in the pictures. I think I saw metal bolts of some kind holding the trim pieces in. I am hoping someone might know how to get these pieces off, and maybe recognize if I need a special tool to unscrew the bolts that look like there is a figure "8" in the bolt head. Please have a look at the pictures, if you might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Closeup of bolt head.jpg
    Closeup of bolt head.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Step 1 - remove cover.jpg
    Step 1 - remove cover.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Step 2 - cover off.jpg
    Step 2 - cover off.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Step 3 - holding the trim in place.jpg
    Step 3 - holding the trim in place.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 51
Thanks to the respondents for the feedback. I appreciate it. I will try a socket on it when I get back to it. Yes, this car has a bunch of airbags. I disconnected the battery negative terminal and waited around 10 minutes before starting the work. I have disconnected the battery a few times for various tasks, over the years, and I have not noticed any rough running for a relearn, so it's a pretty painless safety step to disconnect the battery on this car..

Back