Trying to Locate Citgo Superguard Fully Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Baltimore, Maryland and I am trying to find Citgo Superguard 10W30 Fully Synthetic Oil.

I checked the Citgo website, e-mailed some of their people, called others, and I am waiting for replies. While I'm waiting, I thought I'd consult BITOG.

The Citgo gas stations in my area are partnered with 7-11 stores and they are reluctant to place special orders for customers.

Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target don't have it.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance!

Citgo makes pretty good oils for the money. They use PAO's in their full synthetics, like Mobil 1 does, but it is cheaper.

I'm doing some research on full synthetics and I wanted to see who had the Citgo stuff. I had heard that the Superguard Synthetic can be hard to find.

I am currently using Mobil 1 and I am happy with it, but I was curious about finding a cheaper alternative, like a "back up" brand for future use, or for use in another car.

[ March 24, 2005, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: adreed24 ]

I would contact a local distributor if ones near you. There is also the possibility that the distributor can only get it if they order a 1 pallet minimum. The specs of the 10w30 citgo synthetic lead me to think they dont use viscosity improvers with the high flash point and not the very best pour point.
dunno.gif

Do you have shoprite supermarkets? They are in NJ, DE, Eastern PA, and possibly MD as well.

They have citgo syn for $3.79 or so a quart.

Worst case scenario, when heading north, stop by the shoprite in Newark, DE (going thru Newark saves you the delaware expressway $2 toll each way... just get off in Elkton, MD), and get it there tax free.

JMH

Thanks for the price and store information everyone.
smile.gif

I'll check to see if we have any Shoprite markets nearby, I think we might. If not, I'll hit the road to PA or DE.

I knew that I could find some helpful people at BITOG, that's why I'm glad I joined.

quote:

Citgo makes pretty good oils for the money. They use PAO's in their full synthetics, like Mobil 1 does, but it is cheaper.

The Citgo synthetics are GRP III dino oils with a good additive package.

I ran the Citgo 10W-30 syn during the coldest months of the winter & it performs similar to a 5W-30 due to the high VI index, but it has a respectable HT/HS of 3.5.

If this oil is not available in your area, suggest you try the Pennz or Havoline GRP III synthetics and expect performance very similar to the Citgo GRP III syn.

During my phone calls to Citgo to locate the oil, I spoke to a guy in R&D. He told me that the Citgo Fully Synthetic 10W30 Oil was a Group 4 oil. Was he mistaken?

I'm kind of new to BITOG, so I have a question about when people say that a "synthetic oil" is a "dino oil". I thought "dino oil" was strictly conventional oil, and that "synthetic oil" was a step above that; that basically, synthetic oil is engineered to be better than conventional.

So, why refer to "synthetic" as "dino oil"?
Is it because all oil first has to come out of the ground?

Thanks in advance!

I took a look at the information at the Citgo link you posted. Thanks!

I'm not used to reading these types of documents, but when I spoke with the Citgo guy in R&D, he told me that the fully synthetic 10W30 was a Group 4, using PAO's (similar to Mobil 1).

So, does the Citgo Fully Syn. use PAO's? I didn't see it listed under "Composition" on the MSDS.

On an MSDS sheet, a PAO would have a CAS # in the 68000's and be labeled as synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefin, or a 1-Decene Homopolymer Hydrogenated oil.

Citgo is not a producer of PAO base stocks. In the US, only ExxonMobil, ChevronPhillips and BP Amoco are involved in PAO production.

Amsoil relies on ExxonMobil for PAO base oils.

quote:

Citgo is not a producer of PAO base stocks. In the US, only ExxonMobil, ChevronPhillips and BP Amoco are involved in PAO production.

I guess I'll have to call the Citgo guy back and let him know.

If the above companies are producing PAO's, then I assume that each company makes it's own fully synthetic w/ PAO's.

For example, Exxon/Mobil makes Mobil 1.
I think that ChevronPhillips makes a full synthetic under the Chevron name, but do they make a synthetic under the Phillips name?

As far as BPAmoco goes, I think they make the Castrol products, but their full synthetic is "Syntec", which doesn't contain PAO's. So what full synthetics (with PAO's) does BPAmoco make?

Er, it's chevron-texaco and conoco-phillips.

ChevronTexaco makes, or made, a full synth. Both companies make very good grp II/II+/III "dino" blends for their price.

As a result of the Phillips Petroleum sale, the petro-chemical devision was acquired by Chevron. ChevronPhillips Chemical or CP Chem is the producer of PAO's.

ConocoPhillips acquired the lubricant & gasoline brands from the old Phillips Petroleum.

quote:

If the above companies are producing PAO's, then I assume that each company makes it's own fully synthetic w/ PAO's.

To keep it simple, of the major brands, only M1, Amsoil and are PAO's. Some of the specialty oils such as Schaeffer's and Royal Purple are PAO based or blends. Redline is POE ester.

BP owns Castrol, but the GRP III base oils are supplied thru Petro-Canada and Shell. As recently reported here, Syntec is bottled at the old Kendall refinery, now ARG, located in Bradford PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back