Trying to locate a specific filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago, before I frequented BITOG as often, I recall seeing a thread regarding a specific oil filter that seemed to be highly praised as being extremely robust in its construction.

The photos that were posted (if memory serves me) showed a spin-on filter with unique looking media that had a very "fleecy" appearance, much more so than the synthetics I'm currently familiar with, such as Fram Ultra or Royal Purple. I also thought I recalled it being an OEM equipment brand such as Motorcraft or AC Delco, though all the recent photos I've seen of those brands don't show the distinctive characteristics I seem to remember.

It's entirely possible that I'm recalling incorrectly, but does anyone have any thoughts on what filter it might have been?

Not really sure what you saw, but Mann makes a fleece filter. They are OEM for Mercedes, among others...

51KCzbrOqvL._SX300_.jpg

if you believe it was an OE filter, our local Toyota dealer used to have a cut-open filter on display in their parts dept that fits that description. although I do believe that the Toyota filters vary widely in construction depending on where they are sourced from.

My Lexus filter from the dealer is different from my local Toyota dealer though, the part #'s are the seme. The Lexus filter has a media that is clayish colored, sort'a hard foam material and the Toyota version is pleated paper.

I'll see in the mean time, if I can find a picture and post it. Maybe this is what Padawan is speaking of.

EDIT:

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/index.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Padawan
Several years ago, before I frequented BITOG as often, I recall seeing a thread regarding a specific oil filter that seemed to be highly praised as being extremely robust in its construction.

The photos that were posted (if memory serves me) showed a spin-on filter with unique looking media that had a very "fleecy" appearance, much more so than the synthetics I'm currently familiar with, such as Fram Ultra or Royal Purple. I also thought I recalled it being an OEM equipment brand such as Motorcraft or AC Delco, though all the recent photos I've seen of those brands don't show the distinctive characteristics I seem to remember.

If it was an OEM, it was probably a Delco Ultraguard:

Close-up pictures of the media

which used a glass fiber synthetic filter media.

The cost apparently killed it - dealers told me they sat on the shelves.

They were made by Champion Laboratories and the current Royal Purple Extended Life and current Toyota TRD High Performance oil filters are the same basic filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back