Trying to get the icemaker to work again...

I have been drinking a lot more thanks to doctor's orders. Recently I replaced the water filter which apparently was about four years old. I put a new one in. Pressed the water dispenser per the instructions and now... I have no water coming in.

Everything else appears to be working fine. The ice maker clicks on but no water is coming in the chute that fills up the ice tray.

I let it sit overnight and tried to see if it just needed to be filled. No water is coming in the chute and I don't see any stoppage issues since the chute and water tube have no water in them at all.

I did the water dispenser about 15 minutes ago. About two cups came out over a five minute period. Somehow the water isn't getting where it needs to go and I'm just about stumped.

Here are a few pics of the unit. It's a fairly basic Frigidaire from 2013 ( FFHS2611PF4 ). Any ideas would be welcome. Between the manual, Youtube videos and random SWAG I'm running out of ideas.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 37
Have you checked the water pressure going into the refrigerator? I'd disconnect the water line and try to fill a bucket with it.

I have the same ice maker. That lever on the side has to be down for it to make ice. When it is up, as in your picture, it thinks the bucket is full.

Have you checked the water pressure going into the refrigerator? I'd disconnect the water line and try to fill a bucket with it.
Yes. You'll have to pull the fridge away from the wall to do this, as the water inlet is on the back at the bottom. It is usually a small tube leading to a "saddle valve" on the cold water line to the kitchen sink. You could look under the sink, close the valve, detach the tube, get something ready to catch the water, then open the valve to check flow there. If it doesn't work there, there's no point of pulling the fridge out.

Once you have established there is a good flow up to the water inlet on the fridge, there is usually a strainer in the water inlet module which could be clogged. Water comes from the house, through the strainer, up to the filter in the refrigerator compartment, back down to the water module, then to two solenoid valves. One feeds the ice maker and the other is for the glass filler on the door.

Last edited:
Like someone else said, with the lever up, it will not make ice. Check the installation again. Did you use a genuine Frigidaire replacement filter or some fleabay knock-off?

Last edited:
In the future you might want to install a filter in the line, instead of buying refrigerator filters. They work better, last longer, and they're cheaper. Most fridges will work without a brand specific filter installed in them.

Like someone else said, with the lever up, it will not make ice. Check the installation again. Did you use a genuine Frigidaire replacement filter or some fleabay knock-off?
I know the lever won't make ice in the up position. It looks like it may be whatever part heats the waterline. To the other fellow, I did use a Frigidaire WF3CB Puresource3 Refrigerator Water Filter. I like to stick with brand name replacements for appliances.

I know the lever won't make ice in the up position. It looks like it may be whatever part heats the waterline. To the other fellow, I did use a Frigidaire WF3CB Puresource3 Refrigerator Water Filter. I like to stick with brand name replacements for appliances.
I understand that. I'm talking about eliminating the fridge filter entirely, and using an inline water filter instead. I did that with my Kenmore, and got better results. Most fridge filters are too small, and don't last as long. And you will have much better volume of flow with an inline filter.

Sounds like everything started after the filter replacement.

Airlock? Check for a blockage. Is there a seal you have to remove or something on that order?

Was it working before you changed the filter?
Yep it was. To billt460, we actually had that type of set-up for the fridge but my wife didn't like it because the installation was sub-par and we had chronic issues. Nothing wrong with the idea but I'm not going down that road again. ;)

Yep it was. To billt460, we actually had that type of set-up for the fridge but my wife didn't like it because the installation was sub-par and we had chronic issues. Nothing wrong with the idea but I'm not going down that road again. ;)

Is this better? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but rather realistic. The filter you linked to cost $37.00, and is rated for only 6 months, or 200 gallons, whichever comes first. (I guarantee you the little red LED light will come on a lot sooner than 6 months). And that's assuming it works. Yours for whatever reason does not.

I don't know who did what to your inline filter to make it "subpar" and create all of these issues. But these are not difficult installations. Most inline fridge water filters don't have to be mounted, and accept braided Stainless lines that screw right on to the ends, and connect directly to your fridges waterline.

Another problem I've found with these "built in" filters, is all of them are most always changed under pressure. And they all seal on some type of molded in, cheap plastic nipple with an O-Ring(s). (All 3 of mine did. Kenmore, Samsung, and Frigidaire). And all 3 leaked at one time or another. None of them had much of a flow rate. It took seemingly forever to fill a large tumbler, when compared to the flow rate without the filter installed.

The fridge I have now came with the house. It took those overpriced built in filters. I bought one and replaced it, because nothing was flowing, (like yours is now). The flow slightly improved after changing it. But the next morning I had a nice big puddle under the unit.

That's when I threw it out and went to an in line filter. You will too after you spend enough on them, and get disgusted enough dealing with the leaks, low flow rate, and constantly buying them due to their low capacity. These thing were all designed to create $$$$ for the manufacturer. Not clean water for the customer. As you're quickly finding out.

Since it was working before you installed the filter I would remove the new filter, hook it back up with out a filter or put the old one back in and see if it works.

Back