trying to find some gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find some 75w140 or 85w140 dino gear oil w/o any limited slip additives.

So far I havent had much luck. So was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Valvoline white bottle seemed like it would do the trick but it has the limited slip additive.

Other option would be lucas but I cant find much info on it.

Any suggestions? If I could purchase it locally that would help quite a bit. Im almost tempted to just go with some coastal.

Thanks.

whats the application. usually the limited slip additives dont hurt anything if you dont have a LS Diff.

Originally Posted By: Rand
whats the application. usually the limited slip additives dont hurt anything if you dont have a LS Diff.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Application is just a ford 8.8 with detroit/eaton truetrac. There seems to be a bunch of mixed info and people running synthetic w/ or w/o friction modifier without any issues but id rather just keep it simple and go with what is recommended for the truetrac. Mainly because I dont want to spend $50-$60 for some redline or royal purple which is what I would go with on the synthetic end, have it produce noise compared to the dino, and then have to dump that money down the drain.

For those thinking use what youve been using. I still have the truetrac sitting in the box. Going to pop it in tomorrow after work.

Last edited:
Chevron Delo ESI 85W-140 ... I have a pdf of the info sheet and it does not mention anywhere that it has any limited slip friction modifier in it.

Originally Posted By: frankthetank

Thanks for the input everyone.

Application is just a ford 8.8 with detroit/eaton truetrac. There seems to be a bunch of mixed info and people running synthetic w/ or w/o friction modifier without any issues but id rather just keep it simple and go with what is recommended for the truetrac. Mainly because I dont want to spend $50-$60 for some redline or royal purple which is what I would go with on the synthetic end, have it produce noise compared to the dino, and then have to dump that money down the drain.

For those thinking use what youve been using. I still have the truetrac sitting in the box. Going to pop it in tomorrow after work.

Frank:

Put in something cheap and change it out at 500 miles. I know you are not putting in a new gear, but the setup is going to be slightly different this time, very hard to get it exactly the same with a different differential and new carrier bearings.

Also, you may have to pull it apart to further adjust the backlash it you hear it whining.

I have used the True-Trac before, it's not sensitive to oil, but it will turn it black, even with no clutches.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: frankthetank
Application is just a ford 8.8 with detroit/eaton truetrac. There seems to be a bunch of mixed info and people running synthetic w/ or w/o friction modifier without any issues but id rather just keep it simple and go with what is recommended for the truetrac.
Eaton/Detroit/Truetrac says, "Lubrication: The TrueTrac differential is designed to operate in those lubricants recommended by the vehicle/axle manufacturer for conventional differentials." You have the same ring & pinion gears and the same or identical bearings. Any GL-5 differential gear oil without limited slip additive from the factory is unusual, as you've found. (Of course, this additive is only for a clutch type LSD, not this Torsen type LSD.) In any case, I wonder if the comments you've read about the LSD additive relate to folks adding more than what already came in the gear oil?

Pop it in? Are you sure the gear contact won't need to be checked and possible the shims changed (or does Ford use something different?). You're changing the gear mounting surfaces, and it is very unlikely that the gears will be returned to exactly the same positions.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Chevron Delo ESI 85W-140 ... I have a pdf of the info sheet and it does not mention anywhere that it has any limited slip friction modifier in it.

The only Chevron product with LS additive if 80w-90LS gear oil in 16 gallon containers
The Delo 80w-90 and 85w-140 are really great gear oils but you must put in LS additive if you need it for the rear. Chevron Delo gear oils are very high quality non synthetic gear oils and some specs surpase synthetics in some catagories. the Delo oils are in quarts also.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
I have used the True-Trac before, it's not sensitive to oil, but it will turn it black, even with no clutches.

Higher heat? Worm gear against case grinding particles???
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back