Trying to catch up...

So, I started to get nerdy about oil and filters back around 2015. At the time, I had determined that Pennzoil Platinum was the gold standard for oil. And due to a fluke, I hoarded what my store had available in 5w30 (24qts) at $0.80/qt (!).

Now that I’ve exhausted that stash, I have a few questions. Is Pennzoil Platinum still something of a gold standard? I haven’t been able to find good info like I did years ago - maybe it’s search algorithms or something. I’m happy to pay for the oil, but now I get something like a 50% discount at Valvoline instant oil change. It’s literally about the same cost for me to go there and have it done with Valvoline full synthetic and a Valvoline filter, but minus the hassle, and I don’t have to be as nerdy about my other fluids. For a 7500mi OCI, should I forsake what I’ve been doing?

Forgive me if this part belongs in the oil filter section, but I’ve been using Wix 51334 filters - my impression is that these were among the best of the filters out there, while not spending premium money. Is that still the case? Are Valvoline filters any good? I’ve heard they tend to be undersized and lack sufficient oil reserve for supplying the engine on a cold start. Again, big filter comparisons don’t seem to come up as often when I search, so I’m not acquiring the info I would like to have as easily as I could years ago.

Are Valvoline filters any good? I’ve heard they tend to be undersized and lack sufficient oil reserve for supplying the engine on a cold start.
"Lack sufficient oil reserve" ... ??

The positive displacement oil pump in the engine ensures adequate oil supply to the engine at all times.

"Lack sufficient oil reserve" ... ??

The positive displacement oil pump in the engine ensures adequate oil supply to the engine at all times.
Good to know. If there are any other quality concerns about Valvoline filters, I’d love to hear about it. Likewise if there are any standouts in the mid-quality filter arena.

So, I started to get nerdy about oil and filters back around 2015. At the time, I had determined that Pennzoil Platinum was the gold standard for oil. And due to a fluke, I hoarded what my store had available in 5w30 (24qts) at $0.80/qt (!).

Now that I’ve exhausted that stash, I have a few questions. Is Pennzoil Platinum still something of a gold standard? I haven’t been able to find good info like I did years ago - maybe it’s search algorithms or something. I’m happy to pay for the oil, but now I get something like a 50% discount at Valvoline instant oil change. It’s literally about the same cost for me to go there and have it done with Valvoline full synthetic and a Valvoline filter, but minus the hassle, and I don’t have to be as nerdy about my other fluids. For a 7500mi OCI, should I forsake what I’ve been doing?

Forgive me if this part belongs in the oil filter section, but I’ve been using Wix 51334 filters - my impression is that these were among the best of the filters out there, while not spending premium money. Is that still the case? Are Valvoline filters any good? I’ve heard they tend to be undersized and lack sufficient oil reserve for supplying the engine on a cold start. Again, big filter comparisons don’t seem to come up as often when I search, so I’m not acquiring the info I would like to have as easily as I could years ago.
right now it seems like the new supertech advanced full synthetic and quaker state euro 5w-40 are the best sub $19 jugs. id buy those two over platinum these days. better value. platinum is good but it aint stellar enough for what it's asking for at checkout compared to others. as for filters the fram tough guard is a great bang for buck. 99% filtration at 20 microns at a great price unless you can get the ultra for just 2 bucks more.

Valvoline filters aint bad but theyre not great for the price unless you can get them for under 3 bucks.

Good to know. If there are any other quality concerns about Valvoline filters, I’d love to hear about it. Likewise if there are any standouts in the mid-quality filter arena.
Haven't seen much about them specifically. You could post over in the Oil Filter forum to see if anyone there has info or has cut one open. You could probably bring a filter of your choice and have them install it if you're thinking of having someone do the oil & filter change.

right now it seems like the new supertech advanced full synthetic and quaker state euro 5w-40 are the best sub $19 jugs. id buy those two over platinum these days. better value. platinum is good but it aint stellar enough for what it's asking for at checkout compared to others. as for filters the fram tough guard is a great bang for buck. 99% filtration at 20 microns at a great price unless you can get the ultra for just 2 bucks more.
Hmm Supertech flew under my radar. I’m not necessarily looking to scrimp; I don’t mind paying a few bucks for something a little better. Let’s play a game: for $50 or so at Valvoline, am I getting anything better than I would for $45 plus my time and energy picking out oil and filters myself, and using my own time to do it, when using full synthetic? After all, I’m using their labor, their extra fluids, and their disposal abilities.

Last edited:
Haven't seen much about them specifically. You could post over in the Oil Filter forum to see if anyone there has info or has cut one open. You could probably bring a filter of your choice and have them install it if you're thinking of having someone do the oil & filter change.
Yeah I figured that might need to be over there. Had a life change, so thought I might try to consolidate both questions a bit.

I had a Valvoline filter I cut open a few years ago from a Valvoline quick lube, some said it was fine for 3-5k but I choose to bring my own in.

I had a Valvoline filter I cut open a few years ago from a Valvoline quick lube, some said it was fine for 3-5k but I choose to bring my own in.

That was quite a while back, so it's possible they are different today since quick change places seem to change suppliers quite often.

Is Pennzoil Platinum the gold standard? I have no idea. Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil, as is any other major brand synthetic, including Valvoline, Mobil 1, Castrol, etc. Kirkland (Costco) and Supertech (Walmart) oils are also very good. Mobil 1 currently has a rebate going on, you might want to check that out and save a ton of money on DIY oil changes. The Valvoline quicky lube price is attractive but I always cringe when letting anyone else work on my vehicles, especially something as quick and easy as an oil change which I can do with very little "hassle." (There are few satisfactions like knowing the job is done right, by me.) As for oil filters, any reputable brand will be fine for a single service interval below 10k... unless your engine is a sludger which I suspect it is not. The most important filter is the air filter.

Wait............. You've only used 24qts in 6 years????????????? The Horror.
I’ve been a trucker for most of that time...100 miles out to the yard, car sat for four weeks, 100 miles back for my week off. Maybe a few errands in that week off. Mine’s been the only car which takes 5w30 for a while, I prolly shoulda grabbed a bunch of 5w20, but I had no need for it when I got the bargain deal. Oh well!

Back