TRUST filter (old school Champ Labs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in the process of jacking and lowering my car, the disconnected-and-hanging-by-the-rubber-hoses AC compressor got stuck between the ground and the oil filter, and punctured a hole in it.

Great opportunity to slice it open!

Time in filter: a couple of minutes
Oil type: 30% paint thinner, ~10% diluant from the ink and dye industry (Wynn's Engine TuneUp), 55% SuperTech 5w20, 5% WD40

I bought 10 of these from Rockauto for 94 cents each or something like that.

2vluziq.jpg

They're big.

21jdnox.jpg

There's rust on that little bypass area. They must be old.
28i7o93.jpg

Compared to a 7317 filter. I changed my neighbours oil in his 1.8L QG sentra, (it was over 100% over filled) so that's where that filter came from. You bet I slapped one of these big dirty cockfighters on there!
lfc68.jpg

7317 inside the otehr can
wulag2.jpg

These filters are apparently 25 micron, "resin-impregnated heat-cured paper media"

The thread end bypass design looks to be Champs Labs. Same as the M1's with thread end bypass.

Never heard of Trust before, but looks solid.

Trust was a Parts Plus home brand.Still used for some things but largely phased out.The later Parts Plus branded filters are sourced by International Distributing,of Premium Guard and Pronto fame.Filter has to be at least 6 years old.

Interesting to note, thanks NHGUY

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What's up with the barely lubing lubricant?

It's something like a low vis flush. Haven't had a shop to work in since 09 and an open air driveway is my workspace.

Somewhere along the line decided to crack the oil pan off to scope around since it's been 20 years. During the time the engine was open ridiculous unstable weather; wind and rain blew dirt and poured water all over, and some got in the engine. The tarp would get blown off or the rain would start pouring while i'm working and wet the engine before it could be covered etc etc.

The inside was rinsed off with WD40, as well as WD40 & engine tune up being poured into the cylinders, I think I averted any damage besides some dirt ingestion.

So the low vis flush concoction was intended for the brief start ups (as in testing) and to ensure the oil filter does not go into bypass, as any left over contamination gets washed off.

When I worked at Allied Tire, we were all supplied with Trust brand filters.

I was afraid that they were cheaply made, so I brought my own filters for my family's cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back