true source of oil comsumption pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is where your oil has the hardest time in any engine. Inside the engine this is the hottest part and is the source of oil vaporazation and comsumtion.
this area can reach 400+F easily.
the example in the pictures is my own engine from a 1994 cobra mustang with 140,000 miles with 3000 mile oci.
it had clean valvtrain and the engine was in great shape, I took it apart too see the condition. what do you guys think?

these pistons are in running condition but easy to see plenty of varnish AKA burnt dino oil. this is the main cause of wear,poor fuel milage , here in this area.
pictures of clean valve covers really dont show the whole picture.
yes the last pic of the piston is filthy dirty with dog hair and all. this engine I took apart a couple years ago to inspect.
the cylinder bores had reached the minimum wear readings, worn .0035

Looks a lot worse than anything I've seen personally. Can't be normal, can it?

I've taken apart mostly just air-cooled motorcycle engines. There are always traces of burned oil but nothing like this.

I wanted to add that this engines last few minutes running happened to be cruising in overdrive southbound from a weekly miami orlando run at 80 mph when the driver fell asleep at the wheel and veered off the road into a parked semi truck.
yes it was totaled and the driver lived.
most of the miles were hwy miles the whole life of the car.

They look a lot better than some I've seen. A buddy of mine's 302, which we tore down (1990) spent it's life on Castrol GTX and it had stuck rings on 5 of the 8 cylinders with ~400,000Km on it. They looked a LOT worse than this.

Recent GTP motor that we tore down with around 140,000Km on it also looked worse. It died a sludge-related death; oil starvation. Good inch of sludge in the bottom of the pan. Probably related to the GM intake gasket thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What then can then be said for the engines running real good with over 300,000 miles on dino?

The number 1 rule of fight club is that you DO NOT talk about fight club!

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
Cobra=Blower. You running the stock pulley? Any N02? How many lb's of boost you running at WOT?

Huh?

The Cobra didn't have a supercharger until 2003.

94 Cobra was a 302 with GT40's on it and a slightly milder cam than the HO camshaft. It had factory aluminum pedestal mount roller rockers (made by Crane) in a 1.7 ratio, and a better flowing intake manifold than the stock HO, based on the GT40-series intakes, which includes the Cobra, Explorer and GT40 intakes.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What then can then be said for the engines running real good with over 300,000 miles on dino?

???????????????????????????????
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
Cobra=Blower. You running the stock pulley? Any N02? How many lb's of boost you running at WOT?

Huh?

The Cobra didn't have a supercharger until 2003.

94 Cobra was a 302 with GT40's on it and a slightly milder cam than the HO camshaft. It had factory aluminum pedestal mount roller rockers (made by Crane) in a 1.7 ratio, and a better flowing intake manifold than the stock HO, based on the GT40-series intakes, which includes the Cobra, Explorer and GT40 intakes.

True from the factory....but looking at those pistons it sure looks like a FI/Giggle gas shot was happening.....thus my question.........

Looks like a hard driven 302 running on dyno oil to me? That engine has hypereutectic pistons, they are not normally associated with being particularly forgiving in regards to nitrous or boost, as detonation likes to make them shatter.

This is why I switched to synthetic years ago and why I am a huge fan of ester based lubes. I have seen a lot worse but that is typical of a dino oil even if you changed at 2000 mile intervals you would still have that problem. A 100% PAO would produce about 1/2 as much build up over that same number of miles and a 100% ester based lube would almost look as if it was devoid of any build up at all with that number of miles! This is what I mean when I speak of deposit control.

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Has anyone ever done a before and after of a piston like that when using ARx?

I doubt it. Normally, when it's that far apart, you are rebuilding it..........

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

???????????????????????????????
21.gif

There will be no talk of engines going 300,000 miles with no oil consumption using cheap conventional motor oil.

How the [censored] are people suppossed to upsell more expensive alternatives when we keep talking about 300k conventional oil lubricated vehicles?
I didn't know that dino oil would make my pistins grow hair though!
crazy2.gif

I guess I must be lucky.
happy2.gif

Never had to tear apart an engine to look at all those deposits that must be there causing my engine to use all that oil. (even though they don't)

All those hundreds of thousands of miles in many cars that my family and I have done on conventional oils over the decades.
33.gif

All those deposits!
shocked2.gif

I'll call everyone who has more than (oh, what mileage do these "deposits" start hurting the operation of a engine that runs on the crummy conventional oil?) and tell them to get ready for their engines to start burning large amounts of oil and run poorly.

(notice that both crummy and conventional start with a C?
27.gif
)

(SO DOES CHEAP!) I'm onto something here....
thumbsup2.gif

I will not sleep well anymore..

I don't think I once ever stated that an engine won't make it to 300K miles on conventional..... I have however, in another thread stated that the engine run on Synthetic for 300K will likely be cleaner inside (from my experience on tear-downs, I'm no JohnBrowning, but I've had quite a number of engines apart) than it's conventional run counterpart.

Some engines are harder on oil than others. This has also been discussed on here before.

Bill's logic is no more a universal solution than mine; there is a time and place for both schools of thought here. On a daily driver that isn't raced, I can see it being very hard to justify the use of Synthetic unless you have money to burn and want "the absolute best" simply for the sake of having that. It likely will not provide any real benefit over the useful life of the vehicle.

On the other hand, for people who road race, drag race and otherwise intentionally abuse their engines (such as myself) I see the use of a Synthetic oil as justified. I have witnessed the evidence of this first-hand.

I don't see why the oil gets the total blame for those less than average pistons.
All sorts of things ultimately contribute to those deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back