True Grit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the new film, and loved it. There's a little less humor, a grimmer tone (though the original film had enough of it), and it restores the original ending from the book. Despite Jeff Bridges' frequent mumbling -- sometimes the only way I knew what he was saying was because I know the original lines -- he handles the role well. The guy who played bandit chieftain Lucky Ned Pepper sounded like he was channeling Robert Duvall, who played it in 1969. (Dennis Hopper was also in the original flick!)

As for Kim Darby, she was superb (and super cute -- I saw the movie 5 times when I was 16!) in the original, whereas this girl seems much more like the Mattie of the novel. The grownup Mattie of 25 years later is admirable but hard to like when she tells Frank James, "Keep your seat, trash!"

After the debacle of the last 30 minutes of "No Country for Old Men," I was thinking the Coen Brothers had lost it. No worries here.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
The grownup Mattie of 25 years later is admirable but hard to like when she tells Frank James, "Keep your seat, trash!"

Historically, her sentiments toward James were dead-on accurate and her indignant comment was completely in character for the adult Mattie, IMO.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
The grownup Mattie of 25 years later is admirable but hard to like when she tells Frank James, "Keep your seat, trash!"

Historically, her sentiments toward James were dead-on accurate and her indignant comment was completely in character for the adult Mattie, IMO.

You're absolutely right. Charles Portis wrote her that way, and this new version of the film captures that.

I looked over at IMDb to see the trivia for the original film, and apparently John Wayne didn't like either Kim Darby or Robert Duvall, complaining that she was unprofessional and that he was a terrible "Method" actor.

(I need to stop looking at stuff like that; I don't want any more of my youthful illusions shattered. The next thing I'll find out is that Robert Vaughn, my all-time favorite actor, once had a fling with Richard Chamberlain, or Roy Rogers was a pedophile, or something.)

I just saw this movie tonight and was impressed. I was expecting something much higher on the PC scale given the actors involved but it was a good movie.

The girl defiantly makes the movie. Tremendous acting for a young girl.

I saw Tron with Bridges. Might as well see this. Looks good. Remember Star Man?

I saw this movie last night. I didn't know it was a remake, but loved it. I thought it was a well done piece by all. Great vocabulary for a bunch of cowboys.
I'll have to watch the original sometime.

I'm going to see it tomorrow. I'm cheap and waited for a matinee at $5. First movie I've gone to since seeing one of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
45-90 guns will usually handle the 45-70 just fine.

45-70 rounds that were marked 45-70C were reduced loads for carbines, which the U.S. Cavalry used extensively.
Big difference when you shoot them!

Funny because I am watching the original in Blu Ray as I write.
Re-make was entertaining. No where in the ballpark of the original John Wayne film. Not even a contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back