Truck tool box time , need suggestion

Budget $400 . Never though I need a tool box because old timer use to say “ as soon you put the tool box in back of your truck , your truck immediately turn into a working truck “

anyway I have $400 budget on this . I was thinking husky or craftsman for my 2011 F150 super screw cab . Low profile so I can see back of my my window . So I can storage tools . Coolant . Oils . ...... typical emergency thing .

Any other better choice . I do not want type toolbox that require drill hole .

Be aware that tools are a very high theft target. Trucks tool boxes are big targets for thieves. Secure it to the truck well ( you do want to either bolt the bottom inside of it down very well, or weld it in place ), and chose one that is hard to break into. An loud alarm system would not hurt.

Better Built is what I have on my 1989. On my 1990 I’m also putting a Better Built one on because it was given to me by my brother in law’s grandparents. From my experience they are great and work good. The keys are easily replaceable if you lose them too.

Well they do keep everything in one convenient place so the thieves only have to make 1 trip. :D In all honesty if you have one you have to bolt it down otherwise your better off with an old beat up cooler bungee corded to the side of the bed. No one ever looks in an old beat cooler for anything valuable and they are easier to get into from the side of the truck.

I have had a Better Built (Kobalt) on mine for over 10 years. It is anchored by J Hooks under the lip.
Never have had an issue with the box or security with it.
However, I do keep my good tools in the cab.

I had a husky in-bed unit for years, bolted in via holes drilled towards the front of the bed, just barely acceptable with a close-ended wrench. It was hugely helpful, but i would be wary if its a short bed truck. They do eat up bed space. Never had an issue with the lock mechanism or anything like that.

A cousin of mine who is also a very good friend, and a top notch carpenter, had the side tool boxes of his truck broken into to steal most of his tools just a couple of years after he started in business many many years ago ( he had just been in business long enough to have a very good stock of tools in that truck ). I remember how upset he was. I helped him install an alarm system in his truck after that. I also remember after the alarm was installed it would go off often when no one was near the truck. I figured out the wires were doing a good enough job of picking up RF from someone transmitting ( probably with a CB or ham rig ) near his house. I installed some capacitors to filter out the the RF and it never did that again. Also installed an alarm in his shop to protect that from theft. If you have that problem use relatively large paper-Mylar capacitors because they can handle the extreme cold and heat seen in a vehicle for many many years and very seldom fail. For paper-Mylar 0.47 mfd is a fairly large value, and plenty enough to damp out RF.

Tools are always a high theft item, because there are always people who will buy them at the lower prices the thieves sell them at. Thieves see them as easy cash.

Back