Truck seat moves when braking

I just bought a new to me truck. It’s a 2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab.

Really good deal. It’s been sitting for so I have some work to do on it.

A minor issue is that my driver's seat moves whenever I brake. It only moves ¼ to ½ inch but it is unnerving. I removed the seat, and the issue is the tracks. They both move a little bit. I did not want to tear down the tracks.

I don’t know what caused this. Bad engineering, maybe it belonged to an overweight guy. Maybe some brushings broke.

Options? Has anyone heard of this before?

One car I owned had a driver's seat that would catch in different spots on the right track versus the left track when the seat was adjusted. Sometimes only one track would catch, leaving the other track free to move until it was pushed or pulled to a point of catching. You may have a worn adjustment pawl, or missing teeth / worn holes in the adjustment track. May want to get the tracks replaced before you end up eating the dash board, or inadvertently move too far away to apply the brakes.

Reactions: JC1
Seems like I remember having a vehicle that did the same thing . Yes , it get's your attention . The problem with mine was that it wouldn't lock in after adjusting the seat .

Yank the seat out. Probably the cable between the two tracks underneath has issues.

Clearly you have never driven a GM pickup from the last 30 yrs. The Leer seats are junk. I even lemon lawed one because after 15 trips to the dealer for a loose seat they still wouldnt put a new seat in it. Apparently buying back a 20k truck was cheaper ?

Reactions: 555
Take the seat out and see if the tracks are loose on the seat or floor. Don't know the setup on a Dakota or if you can see the bolts for the mounts if you slide under your truck. You need to determine if the tracks themselves are not locking properly or the mountings for the tracks are loose.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!. both tracks on the driver's side are moving. I guess I will have to take it apart. I may take the passenger seat apart and see if there are some brushings on it. I think it may be some plastic that has cracked apart.

Back