Truck rental and other horror stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right off the bat, I'll admit that I didn't plan ahead well enough. Nonetheless, we've been packing up my dad's place since he passed away last month, and yesterday was the big day for moving stuff to storage. I didn't reserve a truck, due to my own indecision. I am usually pretty decisive on such things, but somehow I let this one slip. So yesterday morning I have stuff to move, but no truck. I tried the Uhaul place near my, house, no dice. Fine, internet to the rescue, right? Went on the Uhaul website, there's another yard nearby that has the truck we need, and we can just reserve it online. So we go through that process, reserve it with the card, good to go. I thought we had better call first. Not only do they not have the truck, this particular yard has never had a truck that size. Oh boy. Now my wife is frantically googling, and finds a truck available at Budget (a misnomer). I call them. No, we don't have that truck. Wait, maybe we do. Cool, I can get a truck that just came back and hasn't been cleaned up. So I rush down there and grab it and order 6 moving blankets as well. Drive to the house, no moving blankets.

The good news is we got the stuff moved, even with my poor truck planning. I feel fortunate to have gotten a truck at the last moment, even if I paid more for less truck - live and learn. But one lesson here is the difference between the internet and reality. If I had continued to use the Uhaul website, I could have made reservations on trucks all over town that weren't actually there.

While I was at the Budget place, I hear a gal talking on the phone. "No, I can't give you that price, that's an internet price. You have to reserve online and then come in. No, I can't do it in the store, you have to do it online to get that deal." What kind of crazy world is this, where somebody in Kansas or Pakistan or who-knows-where can give you a better deal on a truck in San Diego than the person who actually has the truck in San Diego?

This reminds me of when I tried to buy some Castrol GTX that was on sale at Kmart. I don't remember the price, but I could buy 5 individual quarts for a little less than a 5 quart jug at Walmart, and there's a Kmart much closer to me than the Walmart. So I go down the the Kmart, fat, dumb, and happy, and gather up my GTX quarts. When I get to the checkout, I notice it's ringing up for $4.99/qt. "Oh, hey, that's on sale for $3.xx/qt." I show her on my phone. "That's the online price. We can't do that here." She sends me to customer "service."

"Hi, I'm trying to buy this oil that's on sale for $3.xx/qt." I show her the ad.

"That's an online price."

"Right, it's the Kmart website. This is Kmart isn't it?"

"Yes, but we can't match the online price."

"Let me get this straight. This is Kmart, and you can't match the Kmart price."

She gives me that geez-what-a-moron look, and says, "Right, you have to order it online." Then she stalks off to update her Facebook status about the dolts she has to deal with.

So I go to order it online, for store pickup, and the website tells me it's not available at my local store (where I just had it in my basket), but I can pick it up at a store that's 20+ miles away. Walmart's definitely closer than that.

I deal with a large plumbing supply chain. They want to encourage online ordering, so they award you "points" for ordering from their e-commerce site. It's approximately 1 point per dollar spent. The trouble is, it always takes longer for them to fill the order than if I just go down and order at the counter and wait for them to pull the materials. Also, now that I have over 6000 points, I think that I qualify for a very nice pencil eraser.

So, while I have been very happy with the service I've gotten from some strictly internet sites, the integration between e-commerce and brick-and-mortar has a little way still to go.

Last edited:
You have a lot of complaints in your post.
One I'll respond to: UHaul's truck rate is artificially low initial rate, made up for during the cents per mile rate.

I don't know about Budget trucks, but Budget car rate has been very high. You have to use discounts to get it down, and even then I've been happier with Enterprise, but can rise again steeply if you get the optional insurance.

Local super Walmart has been very accommodating in price matching competitors. A few times I took Post-It notes and wrote down all the prices I wanted to pay (match) on my items, and the checker thanked me. Didn't ask for where I got the prices, but I had backup documentation in case I was asked.

Yeah, other retailers don't want online orders cannibalizing their B&M stores. That battle seems to be a losing battle; I've been told by a longtime B&M (without asking) they'd match an online price.

When my fiance tried to get a Uhaul truck in 2001 it wasn't much different. Local affiliates could rent the trucks out "for cash" and keep all the money, without reporting it to u-haul, or by somehow backdating it if it became a problem.

I called a Uhaul affiliate in 2013 for a Uhaul tow dolly, he had those for $45 but was quick to note over the phone that he had his own, non uhaul one for $25 cash.

People who shop online are looking for a competitive price. People who show up in person are looking for instant gratification, price be darned. Way the world works, now.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
we've been packing up my dad's place since he passed away last month,

I'm sorry for your loss. Try to keep your head up and stay positive. Which isn't always easy.

My condolences. Moving alone can get you hair-brained, without having the added situation of your loss on top of it.

For the reason you mentioned, I always call ahead to places and ask them to "put eyes on it" before orderin. Too many times what's in the system does not agree with reality. Even the in-store computers.

For your kmart story,

The way you want to think about it is not that the online guy got a deal, but that they want to charge the guy who is in-store extra.

I bet it doesn't go the other way, where some in-store items are more than online.

If this is true, then a big reason why they don't want to integrate better, is they are reluctant to give up this revenue stream.

I used to work at a truck rental place while I was in school (not uhaul or budget).

Whenever end of the month rolled around, we would get at least 2-3 people that would come in and say they had just come from uhaul, and the truck they reserved online wasn't there. We typically doubled to tripled the rates going into the end of the month knowing that. If Friday/Saturday was the 30th/31st you could quote any rate you wanted (and were encouraged to) as we got down to the last truck or two.

Also, on the online vs. in store, we were judged/"coached" on how much we strayed from the online rate at times for the truck only, and for a time, got a cut of whatever a customer charged for accessories such as towing, blankets, hand trucks, and insurance, which in part probably explains the online vs. in store price difference.

Having different prices online and in store is pretty much standard practice in the retail world. Many places do it. Some places will honor the online price if you show them. Some will not.

The online vs store thing is [censored] especially if you can order online and pick up in store...

Another rental option for trucks would be Home Depot. Around here they have Penske in the parking lot, take AAA discount and the trucks are decent. I rented from Penske twice and have been satisfied every time.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Having different prices online and in store is pretty much standard practice in the retail world. Many places do it. Some places will honor the online price if you show them. Some will not.

I recently ordered 2 oil filters from Walmart.com for store pickup. They were $2 cheaper each than if I went to the same store and picked them off the shelf
21.gif
. Now I always check on line prices before I go to the store.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: spackard
You have a lot of complaints in your post.
One I'll respond to: UHaul's truck rate is artificially low initial rate, made up for during the cents per mile rate.

All truck rental companies charge mileage. Budget is 99 cents/mile. Penske is 79 cents. Ryder is 59 cents, but whacks you with a gigantic ($85-100+) daily rate. (And their trucks are horrible.)

Why I like the LTL storage rental more than a truck.
You get more time to load your stuff, someone else drives it to the destination, and you get more time to unload the stuff. Doing it all in one day is for the very young, and in two days is if you don't have much stuff and enjoy several weekends of two-stage packing and unpacking, over possibly one-stage unpacking directly from the trailer.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We had a 15% off coupon for Budget, but it was only good online. To use it online, you had to do the reservation online, and wait for a representative to call you and tell you where the truck was available. Not a viable option in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back