Truck Ramp Stops an Out-Of-Control Big Rig in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: roadandtrack.com
You've probably passed by dozens of runaway truck ramps without ever paying much attention to them. To a driver in a normal family vehicle, they're largely irrelevant.

But to a big-rig driver, they can be a life saver.

Caltrans just published this video on its Facebook page, showing an out-of-control 18-wheeler rounding a curve and grinding to a halt in a gravel escape ramp. The surveillance camera video is slow and choppy, but it shows one thing very clearly: That truck came to a stop very quickly.

The principle behind this type of runaway truck ramp couldn't be simpler: It's essentially a short paved apron leading into a long chute of loose gravel. The resistance of the gravel brings the truck to a halt almost immediately, while allowing a little bit of directional control.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30619/how-a-runaway-truck-ramp-works/

I think this incident is on highway I5 near Grapevine, a very steep hill. I drove to San Jose - San Fransisco many times the last 25-30 years, this section is very steep. When I was at the top of the hill at 60 MPH I can be faster than 85-90 MPH at the bottom of the hill even after few stabs at the brake every 1/2 miles or so.

Highway I15 to Las Vegas has some these "runaway truck ramps" too.

Never saw anyone used it before this video, looks scary.

Last edited:
I was going to rag on you for posting another worthless clickbait news story, but that video is pretty cool.

I haven't seen one stop a truck in real time like this, but have seen trucks buried to their axles in a few. Those had a slight uphill built into the escape ramp so gravity was helping too.

Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: eagle23
I haven't seen one stop a truck in real time like this, but have seen trucks buried to their axles in a few. Those had a slight uphill built into the escape ramp so gravity was helping too.

Thanks for that!

Gotta be careful inclined escape ramps...if the truck has zero braking ability it will just roll backwards back into traffic.

For many years I drove a semi from San Diego to Imperial Valley over the mountains. There are quite a few runaway ramps on this route. I have my own braking technique that I have used with great results. I called in sick one day and my Boss put a rookie in my truck and sent him on his way. I got my truck back a week later after all the brakes were replaced and the truck was cleaned up from hitting the gravel. It's amazing how many truck drivers are out there that have no idea how to slow their truck.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I was going to rag on you for posting another worthless clickbait news story, but that video is pretty cool.

I was on I-10 to Phoenix several times to visit my brother, there isn't any "runaway truck ramps" on either direction of I-10.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dishdude

I was on I-10 to Phoenix several times to visit my brother, there isn't any "runaway truck ramps" on either direction of I-10.

It's flat. Why would they install a runaway truck sandpile?

Back about 40 years ago a friend of mine ran a truck driver training school, teaching Class 1 and Air Ticket courses. His rule of thumb was "don't go down a hill more than two gears higher than you can go up it and never ever shift once you start down". That way, the air brakes could still stop you. Otherwise the service brakes would just burn up and you were in free fall. His directions regarding run-away lanes was to hit it straight on and hope that the front axle collapsed under the impact. If you had a load of pipe or steel beams when that happened, your already bad day was about to get a lot worse.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Thanks for that!

Gotta be careful inclined escape ramps...if the truck has zero braking ability it will just roll backwards back into traffic.

Doesn't really look like its going to be rolling anywhere.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Doesn't really look like its going to be rolling anywhere.

I've seen a couple of semis that have used the ramps over the years...not much chance of them rolling back embedded in that much gravel.

Have seen two cases where an asian and an indian family have decided to put out a picnic rug in the middle of the ramp entrance (one near here has a great view)

My family just took a trip to Washington and Baltimore this week and for the first time ever I saw a few runaway truck escape roads (in PA) so this topic is timely! The ones that I saw were all uphill escape routes though, and looked like they would be quite violent to use if a truck's brakes failed. Do big rig truck's brake's really fail this often so that these escape roads are needed? If so, maybe the trucking industry needs to have better maintenance practices! Or are these escape roads leftover from older times?

Originally Posted By: Patman
My family just took a trip to Washington and Baltimore this week and for the first time ever I saw a few runaway truck escape roads (in PA) so this topic is timely! The ones that I saw were all uphill escape routes though, and looked like they would be quite violent to use if a truck's brakes failed. Do big rig truck's brake's really fail this often so that these escape roads are needed? If so, maybe the trucking industry needs to have better maintenance practices! Or are these escape roads leftover from older times?

It's alot of things really. Some guys legitimately have mechanical failure, but alot just don't know or think they're super trucker and didn't stop at the top of the mountain like they were supposed to... I have to travel a 12%-14% grade out of my town everytime and have seen some things in my travels. Coming down the mountain you'll smell them before you see them. Low gear and dive braking is your friend in this case. I've seen one have to go up an emergency pull-off and it wasn't pretty. The truck was messed up, but it did save the driver from crashing. You can definitely tell the new guys compared to the seasoned truckers instantly. I did see one trucker one time stay in low gear and leave his jakes on, guy never had to touch his brakes or sped up once. He had to be almost fully loaded. Hats off to that guy!

What is the white plume? Is it sand/dust from the gravel, water from some water-filled barrels or the radiator releasing steam, or is it the brakes themselves?

We have some steep hills around here and one or two have runaway ramps. I can remember going up and down it frequently and smelling the brakes at the bottom. Other drivers would stop and the brake check at the top and just walk the truck down in a low gear. It was only a few miles long but goes into a town so stopping is important.

Thanks for that!

Not to worry. When it's buried to the axles in loose sand and gravel it isn't rolling anywhere
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What is the white plume? Is it sand/dust from the gravel, water from some water-filled barrels or the radiator releasing steam, or is it the brakes themselves?

I'd say it's the brakes being fried. From what I've read, if you have a heavy load and you overcome the ability of the engine/jake brakes to maintain a decent without riding the brakes and then you ride the brakes, it's pretty easy to cook them until their gone. Seen plenty of big rigs on Interstate 70 with smoking brakes in Colorado. On the steeper passes, semi trucks I believe have a 45 mph decent speed limit.

Last edited:

Looks like smoke and dust. Possibly a flatland truck/driver and no engine brake.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I'd say it's the brakes being fried. From what I've read, if you have a heavy load and you overcome the ability of the engine/jake brakes to maintain a decent without riding the brakes and then you ride the brakes, it's pretty easy to cook them until their gone. Seen plenty of big rigs on Interstate 70 with smoking brakes in Colorado. On the steeper passes, semi trucks I believe have a 45 mph decent speed limit.
First rule.Never ride your brakes! EVER!
The best way to brake while going down a grade is stab braking. Say you want to travel down the grade at 45mph. Your truck gains speed up to 50mph. You get on the brakes hard and slow yourself to 35mph. Then stay off of them and let the truck slowly gain speed up to say 45-50mph until you brake again. This allows the brakes to cool between slowing events. I drive a lot of mountains and have never had a brake problem using this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back