Truck Lug Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years we did semi truck tires at my shop, after nearly getting oldest son killed (never could follow instructions),I quit. Now occasionally need will come up to remove-replace "Bud" style lug nuts. When doing them regularly, had a "Nippon" brand Japanese built 3/4" impact that really worked well, sold it. Still have a 3/4" SnapOn ratchet with a 3'2" handle to use for inital breaking loose, then run on and off with Ingersol 1/2" impact.

Unfortunately, some are tight enough even my 200 lb arse isn't enough to budge them. Should see the expression on the faces of new, non experienced employees and standers-by when I get 6' section of 2" galvanized pipe to use as a cheater on 3' handle,,,,then HIT ratchet handle in the middle witha 8lb sledge hammer!!!!!!! This old ratchet has been subjected to this abuse since the early '70s. NOBODY builds 'em like SnapOn!!!

Bob

I also have a IR231. Ingersoll Rand some strong air tools. Also have a 3/4 IR2161XP. With a 1/2 hose and 175psi this thing amazing.

The compressors in the service vans were at 175 psi and my Ingersol Rand IR231 would loosen the lugnuts as well, infact My Snapon impact wrench broke its anvil 3 times in the same service time .

We use a cheap 1" CP impact at the shop.

I'm surprised that a 1/2" gun would remove bud nuts. Maybe on a new truck... but I doubt you'd get old rusty ones off.

Originally Posted By: onion
We use a cheap 1" CP impact at the shop.

I'm surprised that a 1/2" gun would remove bud nuts. Maybe on a new truck... but I doubt you'd get old rusty ones off.
My Pete sat about 20 yrs and it took em off. It does take some hammering but they do come off. I even used it on the nuts after the tire shop tightened them with the big 1 inch gun.

I use a torque multiplier and it only takes about 40 ft-lbs of torque with a 1/2 in ratchet to loosen lug nuts that have been tightened to 500 ft-lbs.

One time, we had a trucker come into my generator shop and asked to change a tire. We tried everything we had, but the lug nots were TIGHT. Surprise of all surprises came when we busted out our Makita 3/4" drive electric impact gun. It got them off.

Hi,
alreadygone - There is NO need to use an air gun to tighten heavy truck wheel nuts!

The best bet is to speed run the nut to medium contact. Then use a properly calibrated torque wrench to finally tighten! The real test is to use the truck's wheel brace to "crack" the nut!!!

I have discontinued using tyre suppliers over the years when they would not heed this advice. One Driver stuck with a flat steer tyre "in the bush" dictates the end result

Bridgestone here in OZ heeded my (and some other Fleet Owners with Bridgestone National supply arrangements too) advice some six years or so ago. They now use torque wrenches at every Factory truck tyre outlet throughout OZ. The Fleet Workshops concerned with the Fleets using my Management systems all use the same practice

From a safety perspective - overtightening wheel nuts only stretches the stud and they eventually fail! I have seen many vehicles here in OZ with up to HALF of the studs broken and the other half missing of course. How dangerous is that when the front axles of heavy trucks here are allowed up to 6.5tonnes and our speed limit is 100kmh (80mph) which is rarely adhered to?

I use the same principle on every vehicle on own as well! The wheelbrace trick is the deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back