Truck diesel oil in Lawn mower (SAE30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I have a lawn mower that uses SAE30 oil. I was thinking what if I use oil for diesel trucks nad heavy machinery which is also SAE30?

For example my mower oil is API SJ/CF (SAE30), and this truck oil is API SF/CF (still has API gasoline specs). It has higher TBN (9 (truck oil) vs 7 (mower oil))

What is the real difference anyway?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(yes, I have a small collection of mower oils, it is my hobby to collect them)

Ive seen youtube videos with lawnmower that run with SAND in the crank case. LOL!!!

As long as the oil is not heavily contaminated with water, fuel, dirt or other, the mower will run fine. May folks like HDEO oils in particular 15W40 for outside engines as a replacement for SAE30.

My 24HP V-twin briggs and stratton get Penzoil Platinum 5W30 because thats what I use in my truck. I do run a car oil filter on it (motorcraft) which has much higher capacity than the stubby brigs and straton. been in the engine for two seasons and still looks good. Everytime I setup to drain it, it looks like most oils look like coming from the bottle.
frown.gif
Just cant do it.

Once the filter starts rusting maybe i will.

I've been using Rotella in all my lawn equipment for 20+ years (5 horse Briggs vertical shafts x2, 15-horse Kohler single, 28-horse B&S v-twin in the Ferris ZTR at the farm property). I even give them T6, since that's what I was running in a few vehicles. Yes, I know lawn equipment usually calls for SAE 30, but modern HDEOs are better by all measures.

Summer oilng ODPE is never a problem.

Now winter oiling of the Generac or the snowblower is where you may have issues.

And SAE30 is NOT in the sump in a cold Winter.

Straight 30 are great in the Summer for larger engine A/C lawn equipment

Small under 5hp oil slingers dont care.

Poly@olefin: Nice collection of oil bottles.. Very cool and colourfull
smile.gif

Last edited:
I use cheap oil in my OPE. Not necessarily Supertech, but whatever I can get cheap. Right now my lawnmower has some mobil1 20w50 that I got cheap.

My John Deere LX188 riding mower gets the same HDEO as my bigger John Deere 950 tractor. Either Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 or Rotella T6 5W40. Runs fine, the manual calls for 10w30, SAE30 or 10W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back