truck close to 100k should i use a thicker oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jmorg1980:
Is there really a whole lot of difference between the ttwo to even worry about it?

There kinda is with our climate. The 5w30 is thinner than a 10w30 when the oil is cold, say after sitting overnight. This allows it to start flowing faster and provide engine protection sooner than a 10w30 on cold mornings. During the summer when the temps are higher even at night the difference is negligible at start up.

[ May 15, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

quote:

I dont have a clue what your talking about i know nothing about oil.

Basically, in order to achieve the 2 different thicknesses in a multigrade oil ( a 5w30 behaves like a thin 5 weight at cold temps but like a 30 weight when the engine reaches operating temp) the oil companies have to add polymers to the oil to achieve this flexibility. The larger the spread between the 2 ratings in an oil, the more modifyers they have to add. This is more true with conventional oil than with a good synthetic like Mobil1. Over time those modifyers can cook away inside a hot engine and the oil will 'shear' and lose its viscosity. This happens over time so its usually not much of a problem with 3,000 mile intervals.

[ May 15, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

quote:

I dont have a clue what your talking about i know nothing about oil.

Niether do I.......I just post
tongue.gif

I thought you asked if there was a really big difference in a good 5w-30 vs a 10w-30 for the way you drive , the engine you have and where you live for year round use .

My answer was no , the 5w-30 will do well enough during summer to not lose sleep over

[ May 15, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
In Kentucky I would certainly use the 10W-30 in the summer months. Motorcraft 10W-30 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter with your 3k OCI would probably do very well.

John

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
Agree.

I also agree.
grin.gif
My F150's with the 4.6 ran fine on 5w30 - I sold my '97 with 163,000 miles on it running the so called evil dino 5w30. Ran like a top...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back