Troy-bilt 29cc 4 stroke trimmer - thumbs way up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my father's day gift early this year. Last weekend, I was using my 10 year old 2 stroker trimmer while my wife and son were playing on the deck. This old trimmer has been notoriously hard to start all it's life. I've chalked it up to a bad carburetor design, but it's always been a pain. And when the engine is warm, forget about re-starting it. It just won't happen.

So anyway, as you can guess, the engine stalled on me (I accidentally hit the kill switch) and I couldn't restart it. I yelled out how much warmth and affection I felt for it and my wife suggested we get a new one. I picked out a 4 stroke Troy Bilt. This thing is like heaven compared to the old one. The engine start procedure is almost identical to the old one but once I flipped it to half-choke, it fired up on the first pull and ran like a top the whole time. Power is very nice. Much quieter. Much cleaner exhaust and no hesitations, ever. It has a straight shaft, which is much more comfortable than the old curved shaft and it can accept different attachments (I have the hedge trimmer in mind for starters).

So if anyone's looking for a gas trimmer, this one's worth the price of admission.

Time will tell, I suppose. It was very impressive the first time out. Mine's the 29cc motor, not the 26, though. They've had a couple years to iron out the bugs, too.

Originally Posted By: Matt_S
Mine's the 29cc motor, not the 26, though. They've had a couple years to iron out the bugs, too.

That's true. I forgot about the updates. Is yours a direct-drive, no centrifugal clutch? I know that's a deal-breaker for me now. I don't like direct-drive.

Joel

Troy built equipment has always been top of the line stuff. Right up until MTD bought them out. I worked on a Cub Cadet weedwhacker the other day. The throttle cable on this year-old, four-stroke machine was snapped in two. I got right on line to MTD and ordered another one! MTD you say...yup they got them too. Buy an echo from a dealer. $169.00 for the bottom of the line curved shaft model. The dealer will kiss your butt everytime you drop back by to get more line for it. They'll charge you for the line, but probably put it in for you for nothing. Don't get me wrong...I don't love dealers, but 20 years from now you'll still be using your Echo.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
... got right on line to MTD and ordered another one! MTD you say...yup they got them too.

Yep. MTD bought out Cub Cadet back in the late 1980s. The low end stuff is all white/yellow MTD clones. The 2K and 3K series garden tractors are still made based on the old Cub GT specs.

Joel

How many strings stick out on it? I have a 29cc Craftsman 4-stroke with the 4-string head. I use GC 0W-30 in it, and like it. Been good so far, starts on the first try all the time. Has an automatic choke but so far has given no problems. Dunno why I'm talking in weird sentences. BTW, I should add that it is straight shaft, too. Which, I got for the reliability and design. It truly is better than an arch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
That's true. I forgot about the updates. Is yours a direct-drive, no centrifugal clutch? I know that's a deal-breaker for me now. I don't like direct-drive.

Joel

This new one has a clutch, whereas my old one didn't. Having used them both now, I agree with you. Having a clutch is much better.

In response to the other question, it has a typical 2-string bump-feed head.

After the third use, it's still working just as nicely and I'm starting to get used to the different feel of the straight shaft, too. This trimmer is SOOOO much better than that old McCulloch it replaced.

I like my troy-bilt. I use my weed wacker attachment as an edger and works great and i also have the blower attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back