Troublesome starter in 2009 Hyundai Sonata - a few questions

I had a starter replaced on my 2009 Hyundai Sonata last year. Lately, a few things have been happening.

1. The car has been starting with the key in the ON position. Meaning I switch the key to ACC, then On, but don't turn the key to start it, and the car starts by itself. Either immediately, or after a .5 second delay in the case of today.

2. The starter is grinding when I shift gears on the shifter. Meaning the car started itself today, and then I got grinding when I shifted from D to P in my parking spot.

It seems to only happen after the car is warmish, meaning the second start of the day/trip. It didn't cause issues when I got in my car this morning to drive to work, and didn't cause issues when I got in my car to go to lunch, but happened when I was headed back to work after ~20 minutes at Subway.

It didn't happen when I originally started my car to drive out of state, but after going back as I forgot something, then starting it again, I got a grinding while shifting to P at both subsequent stops.

Part of me thinks this is a starter issue, but part of me thinks it is a key cylinder issue. The starter might have a warranty, but the key cylinder issue might be killing them more quickly than expected.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I’m thinking a key cylinder issue. The shifting anomaly is really baffling. Maybe a shift lock issue as well?

The auto start has been happening for about a month. The shift noise is from a week ago.

I don't see how this would work. Does the neutral safety switch disengage the starter?
When the neutral safety switch in the Kia started acting up, it wouldn't do anything. Car wouldn't even try to start. Not 100% sure how it's wired though, but I think it certainly cut off power to the starter. Just thought I would say this as it could be related. Maybe not.

The key switch is stuck on start. While the transmission is in reverse or drive, the neutral safety switch does its job to prevent the starter from running. When you shift to P or N, the starter tries to engage even though the engine is already running, which causes the gear to grind. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the starter itself.

I found a video about the starter switch on a 2009 Hyundai Sonata that had similar issues. So I replaced the switch, and the new part feels much firmer than that last. I will see if it causes issues from here on.

Back