Troubles with my website - Strange Characters

I am having trouble with my website. It isn't getting the proper symbols that I encode. For example, the dash seems to be a problem.

Here's one of the pages where this seems to be a problem: http://barrystiretech.com/sttires.html

And that first sentence is an example: This article is about travel trailers – RV’s – that have ST type tires.

What's going on?

Thanks in advance

Barry

Looks like pretty simple HTML. What's your editor? Do you FTP stuff in or edit via your hosts cloud based editor?

It looks like something is misinterpreting standard ASCII characters like quotation marks.

Definitely looks like something is buggering up the HTML, if you look at the code:

This article is about travel trailers – RV’s – that have ST type tires. Other kinds of trailers
or other types of tires on RV trailers are not specifically addressed here. HOWEVER, if you have a trailer
of any sort you may find the information of value

The improper characters are being embedded in the text.

As eljefino noted, what are you using for an editor? If you pull the above page up in Notepad for example, you can correct the characters and they will look normal.

Editor? My brain and my fingers!

I am writing this in notepad and uploading it using FileZilla. The webpage looks fine on my computer, but it has issues after the upload.

When I have this issue at work I need to make sure I use Unicode (UTF-8 or 16 IIRC) vs. ASCII encoding in the documents I’m uploading.

Yes you wrote "RV's" and the single and double quote marks got parsed into Unicode. Which isn't necessarily a problem if everything down the line is Unicode compatbile.

Older databases my not support UTF-8. When we migrated BITOG from UBB to XF, we had serious challenges with this

Editor? My brain and my fingers!

I am writing this in notepad and uploading it using FileZilla. The webpage looks fine on my computer, but it has issues after the upload.
Looks like it is being converted. Does your hosting have a management interface like Plesk? IIRC, it has a file manager with the ability to edit, you could open that file with that editor, correct it, and see if it sticks. Quick workaround while you get your encoding sorted out for your process.

I tend to use BBEdit on MacOS, used Gedit on Linux/BSD, as it has syntax highlighting and is very nice to write in. Not sure if there's a Windows equivalent?

OK

Installed notepad++ this morning. But it didn't seem to be the fix for the problem. However, I noticed that I was having an issue to capital letters in the file name (vs lower case letters). Once I fixed that, it seemed to work fine.

Now I wonder if that was my problem all along. I'll do some research later to figure out what's up.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Back