Trouble with Honda seat-belt warranty

I had the wife take our 2004 Odyssey into the dealer to have them inspect and [hopefully] replace the driver's side seat belt. At least 1/3 of the width of the seatbelt has unraveled / frayed and it will no longer retract correctly. When I first noticed this I checked into the possibility of a safety related warranty, thinking perhaps seat belts were a mandatory warranty item.. That turns out not to be the case, however I'm in luck because Honda is unique in that they warranty their seat belts for the life of the vehicle; at least they did in 2004.

Pictured is one page from my manual, the other from the supplemental warranty information booklet. All limited warranties are described in detail in the booklet, including any limitations and exclusions, if they exist. For example, rust warranty and some others note that it only covers the original owner or is not transferable. Each warranty is described clearly such that a 10 year old could understand them. There are zero limitations and exclusions documented in the seat belt warranty-- which should be a no strings attached lifetime seat belt warranty.

The dealer tried every reason and excuse to weasel out of it. Conversation went something like this: Dealer: Huh? No seat belt warranty. Wife: Yes, it's in print right here. Dealer: hmm.. yeah too many miles. Wife: says for the useful life of the vehicle. Dealer: Oh it's a LIMITED warranty. Wife: huh? Dealer: yeah it's limited so we're not covering it. My wife is a good sport and did the best she could, but IMO the dealer is full of crap (please someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'm understanding this warranty incorrectly) and I intend to go back or contact Honda corporate.

There are many documented cases of other folks (online forums and such) getting older Honda vehicles' seatbelts repaired under the lifetime warranty by the dealer. Limited warranty in this case just means it's not a full warranty (see magnuson-moss warranty act) and subject to conditions. Well I read the conditions and this should be covered.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Can anyone provide advice on how to move this up the ladder so-to-speak-- who is next in line above the service manager that I can contact? Looking for thoughts and suggestions, thanks in advance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just checked all major manufacturers-none cover lifetime replacement of seatbelts.

This is a situation where you may want to call Honda Corporate. If this doesn't work you are going to need to make the repair your self.

Honda worked with me on an out of warranty ABS module on a car I once owned.

Last edited:
Have the dealer write you up an estimate to have the belts fixed customer-pay. Then present this estimate to Honda Motors USA (or whatever the distributor is called.) Let them tell the dealer they're wrong.

Originally Posted by CKN
I just checked all major manufacturers-none cover lifetime replacement of seatbelts.

For decades (perhaps until recently?) Honda indeed warranted seat belts for life. Did you miss the pages right out of the warranty booklet (pictured above)?

Originally Posted by CKN

I just checked and your vision appears poor. The Giant picture a few posts up clearly states lifetime warranty.
13.gif

Read the seat belt warranty that is in the photos above:

Quote:
"Honda will repair or place, at its option, any seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use."

There is a key part there. It's worth a call to Honda support to confirm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Quote:
"Honda will repair or place, at its option, any seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use."

TRUE...what are you going to do if they don't stand behind it? This is a case where a Lawyer will cost you more than the parts/labor.

Quote:

They will set you right, either by repairing the belt or replacing it. I imagine 99% of the time it will mean replacement. Their option is how they're going to get safe, working belts back in your car.

If you take before pictures (and they look as bad as you describe) and they refuse service, imagine the bad press and liability.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Quote:

They will set you right, either by repairing the belt or replacing it. I imagine 99% of the time it will mean replacement. Their option is how they're going to get safe, working belts back in your car.

If you take before pictures (and they look as bad as you describe) and they refuse service, imagine the bad press and liability.

There is no federal law stating the car makers need to fix their seat belts-NONE. It just needs to meet safety standards when new. AS far as bad press-they all get that every time they announce a recall. Currently it's the airbag thing........It's a '04 Honda-with what -at least 200,00 miles on it. Personally-I think carting around a family in a 200,000 mile mini van IS A LIABILITY.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
I think carting around a family in a 200,000 mile mini van IS A LIABILITY.

Why is that? I see nothing wrong with a properly maintained high milagee car. All our cars are over 150k. My 32 yr old f250 does not have the extra digit on its odometer. I'm sure it's rolled over a few times. I have no issues with driving it with my family anywhere we want to go. It's been to the Grand canyon,Bodie,ca ,Vegas,etc. Only break down it's had was an alternator which took 20 minutes to change. I could see a rusty or junk car being a liability. But not just because ac car has 200k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
TRUE...what are you going to do if they don't stand behind it? This is a case where a Lawyer will cost you more than the parts/labor.

Maybe I missed something. Who mentioned anything about a lawyer?

Scott

Originally Posted by CKN
Personally-I think carting around a family in a 200,000 mile mini van IS A LIABILITY.

Carting people around is a liability, but hey we can't all just stay home all the time.

You have to break eggs to make omelets.

Reach out to Honda Customer Service via their Twitter feed @HondaCustSvc

Honda, as well as every major manufacturer has a Team of individuals that monitor Social Media feeds..........you will get satisfaction!

The Honda Warranty probably does not apply in this case because the seat belt is frayed. The dealer can say it is normal wear and tear and fraying is not covered under any warranty. If the problem was the retractor not working correctly but the belt itself was in good shape, the dealer *might* want to offer warranty coverage. Since the belt is frayed Honda Corporate and/or the dealer can say it is physically damaged and deny any warranty coverage. If it was my car I would ask the dealer only once for warranty coverage. If they said no, then I would just order one online from a Honda Parts supplier or even consider a boneyard belt in very good condition and just replace it myself. It's not very difficult to R&R a seat belt. I would rather avoid the headache of going round and round with the dealer or Honda Corporate.

Back