TropArtic Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is tropartic never listed when talking about some of the better dinos? I think it is one of the best from reading oil analysis and from the
specs from the phillips 66 website.

Dragboat has talked a lot about Tropartic on here recently actually. I think the main reason it's not mentioned more often is that not many people have even heard about it. Until a few weeks ago I didn't even know it existed. They don't sell it up here, and I've never seen it in my travels to the US in the past either.

Patman,They list Canadian MSDS.

Fordhead,
Correct. They are a old time Company that has kept up in current formulation trends,,might have been a little known leader to an extent.They made a 10/40 PAO Blend with moly for years called Turbo 10/40 blend
The still make a Dino 10/30 Turbo with Moly and a TBN of 13 they have made for years which is very high compared to others in a PCMO with a SL GF-III designation.
With a flash point of 489 and above 500 F for their straight 30 and 40 wt oils I presume they use the best base stocks available .
They have other neat oils per their site but come January 03 I hear there will be a press release of some new oils available from Conoco/Phillips. Thats all I have heard .In the rumor mill I have heard Conoco will leave Phillips alone in how they formulate oils.
Hope so
smile.gif

Well for one I have never seen it anywhere in person. Nor had I ever heard of it until a week or so ago when someone here mentioned it.

TropArctic is an old label that's been around since I was a kid.

It was one of the first multiviscosity oils and the name inferred that it was good for the Tropics (heat) or the Arctic Regions (cold).

Edited for Typo(s).

[ December 12, 2002, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Patman,
Yep! TropArtic

Mark

[ December 11, 2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Creative Misspelling is week 3 of marketing 101. Something of an introduction to week 4: "Distracting Them When Grabbing Their Wallet".

Non-words are much easier to TM. A few are catchy. Downside is all the hate mail from English teachers.
smile.gif

I guess we are lucky in the midwest,TropArtic and Citgo usually sell for $1 or less a qt.Good oils at a good price.Wal-mart around here can't keep cases of TropArtic on the shelfs.I have purchased cases of TropArtic at Sam's Club for 92 cents a qt everyday.
smile.gif

Anyone understand the difference b/t the 10w-30 TropArtic and the 10w-30 TropArtic Turbo ?

I looked at the WWW site but it really doesn't show much details except that the Turbo has a very slightly higher viscosity?

Also, anyone know what the % PAO is suppose to be in the TropArtic blends ?

I'm trying to decide which one I want to use in an older 140K miles 3.3L Chrysler engine. Been run on Amsoil and Mobil 1 most of it's life and doesn't use any oil b/t changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Do they really spell it Artic on their bottles? Because the correct spelling of it should be Arctic.

The real problem is that we Yanks are too ****ed lazy to bother enunciating, "Ark-Tick" and "Feb-rooh-airy".

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Do they really spell it Artic on their bottles? Because the correct spelling of it should be Arctic.

The real problem is that we Yanks are too ****ed lazy to bother enunciating, "Ark-Tick" and "Feb-rooh-airy".

& 'nucular' & 'libary'

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:
Anyone understand the difference b/t the 10w-30 TropArtic and the 10w-30 TropArtic Turbo ?

I looked at the WWW site but it really doesn't show much details except that the Turbo has a very slightly higher viscosity?

Also, anyone know what the % PAO is suppose to be in the TropArtic blends ?

I'm trying to decide which one I want to use in an older 140K miles 3.3L Chrysler engine. Been run on Amsoil and Mobil 1 most of it's life and doesn't use any oil b/t changes.

My guess is the turbo ones have moly and the regular oil doesn't.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back