TropArtic 5W-30 on 2002 Nissan Frontier 5300 oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
EQUIPMENT MAKE: Nissan
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 2.4L 4-cyl
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 5,300 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Trop Artic Synthetic 5W/30

LOU: Unfortunately, it appears your Frontier has a small antifreeze problem. We can see the coolant in the potassium and sodium levels. It's affecting the bearings (see lead), so the sooner you can get this fixed, the better chance you stand of saving the engine. The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after 5200 miles on the oil. That's about the same interval you ran your oil, so lead is somewhat high in comparison. The TBN read 2.6, still active additive left. But run shorter, not longer, oil changes until the antifreeze is fixed. Caution!

MINE / AVG
Al 1 / 3
Cr 0 / 1
Fe 3 / 10
Cu 3 / 4
Pb 17 / 6 OUCH!
Sn 1 / 0
Mo 35 / 39
Ni 0 / 0
Mn 0 / 1
Ag 0 / 0
Ti 0 / 0
K 68 / 6 OUCH!
B 36 / 31
Si 6 / 10
Na 39 / 7 OUCH!
Ca 1686 / 2153
Mg 6 / 177
P 581 / 788
Zn 706 / 936
Ba 1 / 0

SUS VI @ 210F: 56.1 S/B 56-63
FLASHPOINT: 385 S/B >365
FUEL %: 0.5 S/B 2.0
ANTIFREEZE: *** S/B 0
WATER: 0.0 S/B INSOLUBLES: 0.4 S/B <0.6

That TBN suggests the oil's capable out to 6K miles. Can't tell whether the antifreeze affected viscosity - too bad about that, but at least you got a heads-up. Are these Nissan motors known leakers? (By the way, how many total miles on your truck?)

[ June 21, 2006, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Agreed, I would suspect A/F leak. But what oil was in it before, say a certain Mobil oil?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
That TBN suggests the oil's capable out to 6K miles. Can't tell whether the antifreeze affected viscosity - too bad about that, but at least you got a heads-up. Are these Nissan motors known leakers? (By the way, how many total miles on your truck?)

Yeah, I thought the TBN was pretty good, too. I don't know if they're known as leakers, but my research didn't turn anything up. Someone on the general forum said he had problems with a Sentra and the dealer wouldn't do anything until the engine light came on...
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rg144:
Agreed, I would suspect A/F leak. But what oil was in it before, say a certain Mobil oil?

Not sure, but I think it had MC in it when I bought it at 32K (our Nissan dealer is also a Ford dealer, and I believe that's what it had on the sticker).

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

Sorry Ray, forgot to tell you that there are just under 42K on the truck right now.

quote:

Originally posted by LouDawg:
ANTIFREEZE: *** S/B 0

This was supposed to be the three letter abbreviation for "Positive", but the filter edited it out...I think you can figure it out.
grin.gif

These motors aren't known leakers. I suggest another 3k UOA just to back up these numbers.
If +, read your warranty book and see if you can get this fixed by the dealer.
If the warranty is expired, I'd toss in a bottle of radiator stop leak now.
If the cooling components are original, flush the coolant, change the thermostat, and waterpump belt.

I don't think I'd wait! If you have warranty, I'd assume it's gonna cover an internal leak. Take it in with the UOA and demand a fix. Sorry to see this Lou, especially knowing how giddy you were about wanting to see your first UOA from one of your vehicles! This one paid for itself for sure and it's a good thing you did the analysis. Has the truck been losing coolent at all?

By the way, Lou, don't rely on the puke bottle. Check the coolant level, COLD, at the radiator. If the coolant level isn't right up to the cap sealing ring, you DO have a problem.

I'm going to check on the warranty issue today...and I'm going to check the coolant level today as well. I have not observed any coolant loss or leakage up to now, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. unDummy, I'll hold off on your suggestions until I see if the warranty holds, otherwise will probably go down that path.

I'm SO disappointed!

Well, I called the dealer and they said the drive train is still under original factory warranty, so they're going to bring it in and take a look. Will keep ya posted...

Good luck with the dealer Lou..... Glad to see the TBN and viscosity of the 5w30 held up for a decent mileage run.

Out of curiosity, did you stick with TA 5w30?

Clearly early signs of a coolant leak,given the Pb,Na and K levels. I'd have the cooling system pressure checked and possibly put a tracing dye in the system.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:
Good luck with the dealer Lou..... Glad to see the TBN and viscosity of the 5w30 held up for a decent mileage run.

Out of curiosity, did you stick with TA 5w30?

Yep...it's still in there...going in 7/3 for the work...

That's a leak of about a pint every two weeks to a month. I would expect to see a little more copper and iron if its a head gasket starting to go. You or the dealer can pressure test or even just look at the plugs for coolant - evidence.

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:
That's a leak of about a pint every two weeks to a month. I would expect to see a little more copper and iron if its a head gasket starting to go. You or the dealer can pressure test or even just look at the plugs for coolant - evidence.

How do you make that calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back