trop artic in old ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all ! I have a new to me 1988 ford f150 302v8 c6 2wd 3.55 8.8 rear
and have a question that may have been beaten to death, with the talk of zddp in oils and my 302 not having a roller cam in it yet . Will a engine oil such as $1.99qt -trop artic 5w30- meeting newer sn standards, matter after years of "break in" . In other words , will this work well in my application below 0*F winters 90+*F summers?

At what oci should I run 3000 winter 5000 summer? or yearly in which my last truck never got over 3000miles a year

as a side note I do know that it was used and abused by previous owner aka mabe had oil changed once a decade lol

18.gif

I would use the TA with confidence. If you put on 3k/year, then yes, an annual OCI will be fine.

Originally Posted By: howellt85
and have a question that may have been beaten to death, with the talk of zddp in oils and my 302 not having a roller cam in it yet . Will a engine oil such as $1.99qt -trop artic 5w30- meeting newer sn standards, matter after years of "break in" . In other words , will this work well in my application below 0*F winters 90+*F summers?

At what oci should I run 3000 winter 5000 summer? or yearly in which my last truck never got over 3000miles a year

as a side note I do know that it was used and abused by previous owner aka mabe had oil changed once a decade lol

18.gif

You have stock (weak) springs. The fact that it is flat tappet is of no consequence, any basic 5w-30 is more than adequate for that low-stress setup.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Didnt ford go to roller cams in 1986? Regardless they are using other anti wear addatives and a stock flat tappit cam will be fine

They probably had flatties in about the '91 F-150 and the changeover was sometime around '92. give or take.

Still the weak valve springs allowed you to use about any oil.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Didnt ford go to roller cams in 1986? Regardless they are using other anti wear addatives and a stock flat tappit cam will be fine

They probably had flatties in about the '91 F-150 and the changeover was sometime around '92. give or take.

I believe the change to roller lifters took placed in 85.

(I believe the change to roller lifters took placed in 85.) Yes, In the Mustangs and Capri's, LTD's in about 1988-89, The 5.0 F-150s no Rollers untill 91-92 The 5.8L (351W) no roller cam until 'around" 1995. I rebuild alot of these engines for race/Street upgrades.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935

Sure, for the Mustang and possibly some other passenger cars. Now maybe somebody put a passenger car engine in the truck...

Sure, for the Mustang and possibly some other passenger cars. Now maybe somebody put a passenger car engine in the truck...

Carbed(only, not CFI) Stang was first 5.0 with roller in 1985, in 1986 ALL 5.0 passenger car engines used roller cams, includes Lo-Po Crown Vic, T-Bird etc... AFAIK no truck 5.0 used a roller cam prior to switching to mass air in '94(def not before '92)... 1994 is also first year for any 351 to use a roller cam...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You have stock (weak) springs. The fact that it is flat tappet is of no consequence, any basic 5w-30 is more than adequate for that low-stress setup.

Exactly. I wouldn't even worry about using a modern oil unless you have a 1970 or older muscle car with a flat tappet solid lifter.(not hydraulic)

Last edited:

In the vulcan V6 3.0L, 183 c.i, was like 1993-1994.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFB1
AFAIK no truck 5.0 used a roller cam prior to switching to mass air in '94(def not before '92)... 1994 is also first year for any 351 to use a roller cam...

I wasn't exactly sure of the dates..and I guess some of the posts are getting nit-picky. Perhaps a contest to see who has the most Ford-smarts?
ANYWAY, RockAuto shows both flat and roller lifters for the '92 5.0 F150 and all replacement lifters are roller for 1993 F150 5.0 engine.
Though if it makes you feel better we'll say that your info is the most correct.

18.gif

IMO your plan sounds fine, absolutely no worries going 1 year/only 3000 miles on Trop Artic.

Kruse said:

Agree with you, but also TFB1; the Mustang got the roller cams first, followed by the F150 a few years later (I don't know the date).

Last edited:
looking at the data sheets ( voa and others ) I don't know how good this oil is at cleaning

(side note) what I DO know is previous owner did 0 maintenance , oil leak at valve covers ( caused a crack in a ex. manifold) , coked intake and egr , pcv (well, nobody usually know where that is) , mismatched plug wires blackest oil I ever seen , oh and the rear tank was full of bad racid nasty gas I ever see and smelled

well, Kuato ,that is just the half of it .
coolant system , transmission, rear etc. brakes

never want Pennzoil YB in this vehicle , ( I did work at Iffy ( umm... a lube shop ) until recently
I have seen what it does ,eyes are no lies

ok, BITOG .... rant over

might try Rotella 10w30 for an interval to clean it out a bit more ( I some for any other truck ,but it was totaled )

I have seen what it does ,eyes are no lies

ok, BITOG .... rant over

might try Rotella 10w30 for an interval to clean it out a bit more ( I some for any other truck ,but it was totaled )

Then don't use Rotella. Same company, same chemist, although I believe your eyes and noggin needs a refresh or reboot.

I love how myths are believed over real numbers(TBN, NOACK, HTHS, etc)...

No one here is going to convince me any one conventional API GF5 SN oil has a clear advantage in cleaning vs another...

I bought a neglected '96 F-150 three plus years ago that had not seen a change in who knows when(had less than a quart in pan)... Only thing I can say was a plus over the OP is at least both tanks worked(I've since repl rear pump and it really needs the front)...

All I did over a couple weeks before it was licensed was run it a few times in the back yard with three fresh odd quarts of oil I had on hand... Was then drained(was nasty) and QSGB used for it's first change of 4K... That oil was color one would expect after a 4K run in a 179K engine... The drains since have also had approx same appearance, so if engine is sludged, it's apparently not being cleaned... Runs fine, so I don't really care...

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Then don't use Rotella. Same company, same chemist, although I believe your eyes and noggin needs a refresh or reboot.

well, Rotella is a diesel rated ( duel rated) oil , very good cleaner and very good anti wear , ( used it in the other truck after it was totaled I looked under the valve cover it was 10x cleaner than when I got it )

I don't know if PYB cleans so well it looks bad , it's additives fall out of suspension , or most newer cars are sludge prone

my eyes , and my noggin are so far ok , was lower bay , 1 truck had a jellied up filter should have took pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back